Hi to new members

Ian Davis

Apr 27, 2009, 6:20:04 PM4/27/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hello to you new members :)

Why not say hi and let us know what you'd like to be doing with data incubator.

Ian

Bruce D’Arcus

Apr 28, 2009, 12:32:38 PM4/28/09
to Data Incubator

On Apr 27, 6:20 pm, Ian Davis <m...@iandavis.com> wrote:

> Why not say hi and let us know what you'd like to be doing with data
> incubator.

Am just here because of Leigh and Chris work on the periodical stuff.

Bruce

Tom Pasley

Apr 30, 2009, 5:46:05 PM4/30/09
to Data Incubator
I'm here because I'm wanting to model some of the stuff that Leigh,
Ross & co are interested in, for:

- services available for a given journal
- mashed data for a given journal, including title variations,
identifiers [issn(s), oclc number, nlm id, iso abbreviation, etc.]

All of this for an openurl resolver, written in PHP (currently using
MySQL to store data, which is not well modelled).

Tom

pitman

May 3, 2009, 5:22:10 PM5/3/09
to Data Incubator
I'm here because I want to support an authoritative open index of
linked journal metadata to
a) provide
links out from views by journal of typical personal and subject
bibliographies such as these
http://bibserver.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/bibs7
http://www.e-publications.org/biobibs/
which I have helped to create.
b) assist with provision of subject navigation, using journal titles
as proxies for subjects, and some measure of proximity of journals
based on
citation counts or other bibliographic statistics.
I also think that solving the problem of providing open management of
journal identities
should help towards solving the more difficult problems of open
management of author, subject and organizational
identities (also bibitem identities, which involves FRBR issues of
works/versions/editions/manifestations/.... where there is much room
for argument about the meaning of identity).
Compared to other bibliographic entities, the issues of identities and
relations between journals and publishers are simpler (though still
non-trivial), the arguments about
identity are more easily settled by objective criteria, and the data
is more obviously public domain than for other entities.
So I am glad to support an effort with the journals/publishers
data, and optimistic that an RDF system maintained by
Talis may be capable of supporting a sustainable open solution of at
least one, and hopefully more of these data integration problems.
--Jim

Ian Davis

May 11, 2009, 12:46:43 PM5/11/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Since I blogged about data incubator last night this list's membership has doubled in size.

Hi to all you new members!

Please take a few minutes to say hi and introduce yourself :)

Cheers,

Ian

Ernesto Krsulovic

May 11, 2009, 2:58:57 PM5/11/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My name is Ernesto Krsulovic, student of Master's of Computer Science degree (http://www.dcc.uchile.cl), currently working on collecting information from schools and government agencies.

For more information, check the blog's thesis work in Spanish at the following url: http://tesis-e.blogspot.com/

-- Saludos e

Robert Forkel

May 11, 2009, 3:24:20 PM5/11/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
hi,
my name is robert forkel. i'm working as programmer at http://mpdl.mpg.de/
i'm responsible for http://www.livingreviews.org/ and
http://wals.info/ and some projects about publishing linguistic data.
regards,
robert
https://dev.livingreviews.org/projects/epubtk/wiki/people/robert

Manuel Salvadores

May 12, 2009, 4:10:19 AM5/12/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

my name is Manuel Salvadores and I am research staff at Southampton
University, School of Electronics and Computer Science. Currently I am
working for the Market Blended Insight project, where we are trying to
create a B2B semantic web data backbone:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/research/projects/623
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/16756/

Regards,
Manuel

richard...@3kbo.com

May 12, 2009, 7:37:29 AM5/12/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm Richard Hancock, currently developing Web Services for the Ministry of
Social Development http://www.msd.govt.nz/.

After reading the "LOD Triplification Challenge 2009" page
(http://triplify.org/Challenge/2009) a few weeks back I got to thinking
that something New Zealand specific was needed to help bootstrap the
Semantic Web and the use of Linked Data here.

To make this a bit more concrete I am in the process of launching
"Triplify New Zealand", having registered http://www.triplify.co.nz and
http://www.triplify.org.nz. (Nothing there yet)

The current intent is that www.triplify.org.nz will be a community site
promoting Linking Open Data in New Zealand and www.triplify.co.nz a more
commercial site assisting with New Zealand implementations. Currently
the emphasis is on "triplify" the verb, in the context of bootstrapping
"Linking Open Data" using the tools best suited for a given project, but
given that New Zealand has a lot of small businesses using open source
software this could well translate back to "triplify" the
software ( at http://sourceforge.net/projects/triplify/ )

Potentially "Triplify New Zealand" will have a quite a bit in common with
"Data Incubator" http://dataincubator.org/.

I'm hoping to have a beta version of the site available for comment in a
few weeks time but in the meantime here is a draft graphic we are working
on http://images.3kbo.com/trip1.gif

Cheers,

Richard Hancock

Blog: http://blog.3kbo.com/

Daniel Schwabe

May 12, 2009, 8:25:46 PM5/12/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Ian Davis wrote:

Please take a few minutes to say hi and introduce yourself :)
I'm Daniel Schwabe, professor at the Dept. of Informatics, PUC-Rio, Brazil. I'm interested in providing ways for people to build applications based on LoD data. As a first step, we have developed an direct manipulation interface which allows people to issue queries without having to actually write them, in an incremental fashion. Details are available at http://www.tecweb.inf.puc-rio.br/explorator.
We are also looking at facilitating exposing Portuguese language content to the LoD cloud.

Cheers

Daniel Schwabe
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356
Fax: +55-21-3527 1530
http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~dschwabe
Dept. de Informatica, PUC-Rio
R. M. de S. Vicente, 225
Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22453-900, Brasil

Phil Cryer

May 21, 2009, 2:44:29 PM5/21/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi - I'm Phil Cryer, I saw Ian's talk on Linked Data at code4lib 2009,
and have wanted to implement this for our sites. I work in St. Louis
at the Missour Botanical Garden, but am increasing working on the BHL
(http://biodiversityheritagelibrary.org). While the current site is a
.NET implementation backed by MSSQL, I'm working only with open source
projects, and am starting with a citation website that can pull
journal articles from BHL and make them available. I'm using Linux,
Drupal, MySQL, Solr and PHP, and have found a ton of great modules,
specifically Biblio, to do what we need with Drupal. I know RDFa is
being worked on as a core module for Drupal 7, but I want to learn how
I can make the data within my citation website available via the
semantic web. I have things like basic RDF (fields still need to be
mapped to the correct fields for the Biblio module), OAI-PMH and RSS
feeds all working, so I want to build on that to make the data more
available.

Oh, and everything we have is Public Domain (much of it scanned at the
Internet Archive), so we're all about adding extra value to our data
(hate that expression, but...) and make it more easily available to
all. Looking forward to learning how!

http://philcryer.com/ | http://fak3r.com

Kingsley Idehen

May 21, 2009, 2:53:41 PM5/21/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com, publi...@w3.org
All,

The 30+ xslt stylesheets [1]used by the our collection Sponger
Cartridges are now available for community development and enhancement
via a github [2].

Links:

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/ClickableVirtSpongerCloud
2. http://tr.im/m0PT

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software Web: http://www.openlinksw.com

Ian Davis

May 21, 2009, 3:31:22 PM5/21/09
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kid...@openlinksw.com> wrote:

All,

The 30+ xslt stylesheets [1]used by the our collection Sponger
Cartridges are now available for community development and enhancement
via a github [2].

Links:

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/ClickableVirtSpongerCloud
2. http://tr.im/m0PT

Very nice :)

I hope people start to feed back and make them even more useful

Ian

Sherman Monroe

May 26, 2009, 8:17:15 PM5/26/09
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Kinglsey,

Awesome, if anyone would like to collaborate with me, I'm attempting to produce cartridges for the 50 most popular social networking sites.

-sherman

--

Thanks,
-sherman

I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as your soul prospers
(3 John 1:2)

--

Thanks,
-sherman

I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as your soul prospers
(3 John 1:2)

Kingsley Idehen

Feb 3, 2010, 8:32:46 PM2/3/10
to Melvin Carvalho, datain...@googlegroups.com, publi...@w3.org, Tim Haynes
Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> One for the collection?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/lindenb/source/browse/trunk/src/xsl/linkedin2foaf.xsl
>

> On 21 May 2009 19:53, Kingsley Idehen <kid...@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kid...@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> The 30+ xslt stylesheets [1]used by the our collection Sponger
> Cartridges are now available for community development and
> enhancement via a github [2].
>
> Links:
>
> 1.
> http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/ClickableVirtSpongerCloud