Indefero project management system

Ian Davis

Jan 26, 2010, 8:23:03 AM1/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi all (and happy new year),

Currently we used a shared Google Code project for all the data
incubator sub-projects (http://code.google.com/p/dataincubator/). I
recently came across Indefero, a google code clone
(http://www.indefero.net/). This is an open source project with a
hosted version available for a small fee (£49 per year). I've been
playing with it for my own projects and quite like it as a system. An
example that shows all the features being used is indefero's own
project page: http://projects.ceondo.com/p/indefero/

I signed up for a free trial of the hosted version which can see it in
all its empty glory here: http://datainc.indefero.net/

I was thinking that we could point projects.dataincubator.org at this
indefero instance to have a place to manage all of our projects in
their own spaces.

Do others think this is a good idea, or are there any other suggestions?

Ian

Ross Singer

Jan 26, 2010, 9:17:03 AM1/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
I don't have an opinion about InDefero one way or the other -- it's
nice that it adds git support, I suppose.

What is the motivation to migrate away from Google Code? Simply to
avoid "yet another thing that Google has a complete stranglehold on"
(which is understandable)?

-Ross.

Ian Davis

Jan 26, 2010, 10:06:11 AM1/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Ross Singer <rossf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have an opinion about InDefero one way or the other -- it's
> nice that it adds git support, I suppose.
>
> What is the motivation to migrate away from Google Code?  Simply to
> avoid "yet another thing that Google has a complete stranglehold on"
> (which is understandable)?

Not really, just that indefero allows mutliple distinct projects
whereas currently all the dataincubator code is shoehorned into a
single google code project. I thought it would allow more freedom for
individual projects to have their own space. Of course there's nothing
really stopping anyone from organising their conversion code etc in
any other system they like, but it would be nice to make it easier for
people.

Ian

Chris Clarke

Jan 26, 2010, 10:22:03 AM1/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

I've registered to have a play around with InDefero, but with no sample projects available (and no ability to create one as a newly registered user) I can't really do anything with it. Would it be possible for you to create a basic test project for us to have a play around with?

Chris

Programme Manager
Education Division

Talis Information Limited
Knights Court,
Solihull Parkway,
Birmingham Business Park,
United Kingdom
B37 7YB

Direct Number: +44 (0)870 400 5423
Mobile Number: +44 (0)7595 022154
Office Number: +44 (0)870 400 5000

Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com

shared innovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.

Ian Davis

Jan 26, 2010, 11:20:23 AM1/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Chris Clarke <chris....@talis.com> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> I've registered to have a play around with InDefero, but with no sample
> projects available (and no ability to create one as a newly registered user)
> I can't really do anything with it. Would it be possible for you to create a
> basic test project for us to have a play around with?

OK, I create a sample project and added you as an admin, and dlovins
too who had also signed up.

See http://datainc.indefero.net/p/sample/

I'll add anyone else as admins for that project if they let me know
their username (just create an account there)

Ian