Display contents of results from search

Rick Garcia

Oct 9, 2014, 1:32:41 PM10/9/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello -
I was wondering if you might be able to help me.  We just recently installed Datafari and we really like the results of the search capabilities.  However, we when try to display the actual content of the results, we receive a blank page.  For example, if we click on one of the results of the search, we receive the a new page and the URL is given as:

But the document is not displayed.  Is there something we can do to actually see the document?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide,
Rick

cedric...@francelabs.com

Oct 9, 2014, 2:47:46 PM10/9/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

from what I understand, you have the classical problem of web browsers security restrictions when opening files. By default, Firefox, Chrome and IE all forbid opening files, for security reasons. There are work arounds for each of these browsers. Which one are you using?

Regards,

Cedric

Rick Garcia

Oct 9, 2014, 6:18:04 PM10/9/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cedric -
thank you for replying,
I've tried Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, same results with all 3.  Generally I use Chrome.

If you can show me on Chrome perhaps, maybe I can figure out the other ones?

thank you,
Rick

cedric...@francelabs.com

Oct 10, 2014, 6:58:03 AM10/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

here you are with the Chrome procedure. It is not the same one for Firefox and IE, if needed I'll drop it some time later:

By default (and for security !), Chrome forbids the opening of urls pointing towards local files, from a web browser. There is a workaround using the Localinks extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/locallinks/jllpkdkcdjndhggodimiphkghogcpida

Then activate the extension.

Regards,

Cedric

Rick Garcia

Oct 13, 2014, 3:00:10 PM10/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cedric,
Thank you very much, I'm going to download the plugin and give that a try.  I can find a similar plugin for Firefox, the only one I need help with would be Internet Explorer since it does not use plug ins. What would be the work around for Internet Explorer?

Thank you,
Rick

Rick Garcia

Oct 16, 2014, 1:18:22 AM10/16/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cedric -
That plug in for Chrome only works if the file system is local and on the same server as the application, Datafari.  I fixed the problem by re-writing the url.jsp to actually grab the file you click on and present it to your browser.  With the browser configured to open those file types, the documents come right up.

I would be happy to share the jsp and contribute back to the project.

Let me know,
Thank you again for your efforts,
Rick

cedric...@francelabs.com

Oct 24, 2014, 11:39:30 AM10/24/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

sorry for the delay in my answer! Your proposal sounds fine, and it seems to be working. Since you want to share the jsp with the community, I'd suggest we do the following:
1. You create a fork of datafari on github and you put your modified url.jsp
2. We take a look at it and if it looks fine from a coding perspective, we'll then merge it in the Datafari trunk.

Sounds good ?

Regards,

Cedric

Rick Garcia

Nov 7, 2014, 7:39:38 AM11/7/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cedric,

Sounds good to me, thank you.

Rick

Rafael PS

Aug 6, 2019, 11:14:29 AM8/6/19
to Datafari
Hi, this post is from 2014 but Im having the same issue. Im new in Datafari, so I may be doing something worng.
The indexed page retrivies me:
But when I click on it or in the "Open document from source" button, it shows a blank page.
If I copy the link file://///10.200.51.134/setores/SIGINT/MIcrosoft.pdf and paste directly into the browser it opens normally.

How could I solve this?

Olivier Tavard

Aug 6, 2019, 11:31:39 AM8/6/19
to Datafari
Hi,

Could you tell me what is the version number of Datafari you use please ? And also on which browser ?

Best regards,

Olivier

Rafael PS

Aug 6, 2019, 11:50:37 AM8/6/19
to Datafari
Datafari CE 4.3
Firefox 60.6.3esr, it opens a blank page.
Chrome  75.0.3770.142
Microsoft Edge 38.14393.1066.0

Chrome and Edge open a page with a link "Link to Document" with the link: file://10.200.51.134/setores/SIGINT/MIcrosoft.pdf, but when I click on it, doesnt happen anything. When I copy and paste the url in a new tab, it shows the document.

julien....@francelabs.com

Aug 6, 2019, 12:53:23 PM8/6/19
to Datafari

Hi,

Did you follow this documentation to be sure that your browsers allow to open files from links ? https://datafari.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DATAFARI/pages/14745633/Opening+Files+with+Browsers+Configuration

Regards,
Julien

Aug 6, 2019, 3:09:53 PM8/6/19
to Datafari
Thank you Julien. That was the problem. I used to work with Fess and didnt have to do this implementation on firefox.

Now it works!