Metadata change suggestion: Type for "Newspaper"

Shannon Spencer

Mar 21, 2022, 2:05:52 PM3/21/22
to DataCite Metadata
Good afternoon,

I'm writing from the The University of Tampa. We are creating DOIs for our student newspaper, and for now, we will use type "text" and type in "newspaper," but we wondered if it would be helpful to the group to add "newspaper" as a type.

Thank you for your consideration,

Shannon Spencer

Ted Habermann

Mar 21, 2022, 6:00:06 PM3/21/22
to Shannon Spencer, DataCite Metadata
Shannon,

Thank you for this interesting suggestion. I wanted to make you aware of another approach that is currently being used in DataCite. Repositories use “Physical Object” for resourceTypeGeneral and newspaper in resourceType. I think that approach may reflect the physical element of the newspaper - i.e. it is physical not digital… BTW, the repository that does this the most is tamplive.repo1 which ia also from Tampa.

Just a bit of food for thought.

Ted