Metadata change suggestion: Contributor roles aligned with CRediT list

Kristian Garza

May 14, 2021, 7:05:52 AM5/14/21
to datacite...@googlegroups.com
Hi Metadata Working Group,

The following is a suggestion by one of our members that was discussed in the February Open Hours session. There was a significant number of comments and discussion about this suggestion. Thus here we are forwarding all the information for your consideration.

Best regards

Suggestion: Include the CRediT Taxonomy in the DataCite schema. One of our data repositories recently enquired about the possibility of providing the CRediT taxonomy for creators associated with the metadata provided to DataCite for data DOI assignment.

Comments from Open Hours Discussion

from Open hours we heard comments such as : contributor roles. DataCite had used a system defined by CASRAI, but CASRAI expunged that list from its own website it 1-2 years ago. Since then, the CREDIT list has become available. Switching from one to the other, however, is not easy - the lists do not map directly at 100%. So this is a potential non-backwards-compatible change in how the contributor metadata is recorded.

Comments from Members

Should we do it?Yes and no. The CRediT list does NOT match our contributor roles well, either. I work in planetary science, on spacecraft data.What problem?We do want to provide contributor roles that reflect the contributions made to create the data set.How would it help?It would acknowledge contributorsWho?The contributors, in particular editors, pipeline programmers, and archive creators.When?When we first investigated DOI metadataHow often?For most of our DOIsBefore you:We have re-defined existing roles for our own purposes, but that is not sufficient to make this information truly discoverable on a wider scale.4/8/2021 17:41:2
Add contributor roles to API based on CRediT Contributor Roles Taxonomy on ORCID: Current Developmen. Should DataCite consider adding CREDIT roles in the PID Graph (e.g. relationship between DOI and ORCID iD). ORCID could possibly assert this relationship (amongst other assertions)
Add contributor roles to API based on CRediT Contributor Roles Taxonomy on ORCID: Current DevelopmenStory As a member integrator I would like to be able to add work and funding items that include CRediT taxonomy contributor roles https://casrai.org/credit/ so that I can properly attribute credit ...
Credit and attribution for data are central to DataCite's mission and purpose. Just having creators or authors is not granular enough to adequately convey the different roles. Having more granular roles may also result in more people getting credit, e.g., graduate students, data analysts, data visualization, etc.What problem?Better and increased definition of contributor roles and creditHow would it help?It would help us to make more connections (more people to connect) and better connections based on more granular roles and credit. Better and more refined research impact, too.Who?See aboveWhen?2014 DDI DagstuhlHow often?It should be optional, so adoption may not be high at first, but those who make use of it will value it highly.Before you:Putting roles in acknowledgement or release note
Include the CRediT Taxonomy in the DataCite schema. One of our data repositories recently enquired about the possibility of providing the CRediT taxonomy for creators associated with the metadata provided to DataCite for data DOI assignment.
Mar 2020Fw: CRediT
work with CASRAI to consider how the taxonomy in Datacite compliments or can be mapped/related to CRediT to make it easy for creators of research outputs.
We would like roles to be chosen from the CRediT list. https://casrai.org/credit/

Kristian Garza | Product Designer | DataCite
Support Desk | Support Site | PID Forum
A: DataCite e.V. -- Welfengarten 1B, 30167 Hannover, Germany

Stian Soiland-Reyes

May 17, 2021, 5:26:27 AM5/17/21
to datacite...@googlegroups.com

I think it‘s a good idea, the CASRAI CREDIT list is of course overly general across domains – but still much more specific than the generic “author” and “contributor” and still relatively easy for authors to fill in; several journals now ask for this – e.g. https://openscience.bmj.com/pages/policies/#CREDIT                yet this information tends to stay textual within the text. In Dataset records etc. it is harder to provide this information consistently, at least without a structured manifest.

It is important to note that the contributor roles are many-to-many.

One challenge is how to identify each of the CREDIT terms, particular “Writing – review & editing” with space, “–“, “ “ and “&” is tricky to parse consistent characters for and not so JSON friendly. In Datacite will the terms be identified by an enum or URI?

Ontologies like Contributor Role Ontology https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/CRO/?p=classes&conceptid=root can be much more specific, so perhaps an option to add arbitrary contributor role URIs to identify contributorship can allow being more specific?  However this level of detail is very hard to get out of humans registering their outputs in a repository.

From: "datacite...@googlegroups.com" <datacite...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Kristian Garza <in...@datacite.org>
Reply to: "in...@datacite.org" <in...@datacite.org>
Date: Friday, 14 May 2021 at 12:05
To: "datacite...@googlegroups.com" <datacite...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Metadata change suggestion: Contributor roles aligned with CRediT list

[...]

This is important for repositories that use CRediT

[...]

A: DataCite e.V. -- Welfengarten 1B, 30167 Hannover, Germany

Image removed by sender. Sent from Front