Multiply two fields in the source to create new field in target document.

Peder Jakobsen

Nov 4, 2013, 11:27:17 AM11/4/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have two fields in my source CSV file that I need to multiply together in order to create a new field in the target document.  I assume I have to use "custom operations"... the documentation on it seems confusing, probably because I lack some context that is assumed to come from brewery.  Does anyone have some bubbles example code that does something similar?

Thanks,

Peder   (Still trying to avoid Pentaho Kettle, well documented but total overkill)

Adrian Klaver

Nov 4, 2013, 6:57:40 PM11/4/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
On 11/04/2013 08:27 AM, Peder Jakobsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two fields in my source CSV file that I need to multiply together
> in order to create a new field in the target document. I assume I have
> to use "custom operations"... the documentation on it seems confusing,
> probably because I lack some context that is assumed to come from
> brewery. Does anyone have some bubbles example code that does something
> similar?

I have not got to that stage yet.
While I was pondering this I remembered another project that covers the
same ground:

petl
http://petl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://github.com/alimanfoo/petl

I have not really used it but the documentation is fairly complete. For
the operation you want to do this would seem to work

http://petl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#transform-transforming-tables

search on addField

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian...@gmail.com

Peder Jakobsen

Nov 5, 2013, 9:36:59 AM11/5/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

On Nov 4, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian...@gmail.com> wrote:

petl
http://petl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://github.com/alimanfoo/petl

I have not really used it but the documentation is fairly complete. For the operation you want to do this would seem to work

http://petl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#transform-transforming-tables

Wow, this looks really great.

I’m a big fan of cubes, I think it’s a great framework, I was hoping that with a good community around this stuff, bubbles and cubes could evolve together to form a nice integrated approach.  But using it for production without documentation and community support looks to be a bit risky at this point.

Perhaps Stafan is on vacation and will suddenly jump in to invigorate our participation…?

Peder