Is bubbles the right tool for this use case?

44 views
Skip to first unread message

Peder Jakobsen

unread,
Oct 31, 2013, 1:25:00 PM10/31/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
Hi, 

I need to convert a CSV file into a simpler format.

Step 1:

Open CSV file and clean convert fields from 8-bit ASCII to UTF-8

Step 2:

Convert currency strings to integers or floats, for example "$ 4,555,000"
Step 3:

So some calculations between two fields , eg divide one field (Total Contribution) by another filed Percentage Contribution by Country: "Ghana:30,Mozambique:70%"  - these should be turned into individual records in the new csv file or data base, so that while the original CSV file contains perhap 3000 rows, the new CSV files would contain 6000 rows once these percentage devisions are applied. 

Step 4: 
Save as a new CSV file, or put data in SQLite or Postgres. 


It's not hard to write a one off script to do this, but I'd rather write filters, decorators, or plugins, whatever for an existing ETL processor.  Can bubbles handle this use case?

Many thanks,

PJ

Adrian Klaver

unread,
Oct 31, 2013, 1:33:41 PM10/31/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure it can. I did similar operations with its precursor DataBrewery
and started to convert to Bubbles. Unfortunately my code for that is on
another computer, that I do not have access to at the moment. If it
helps the list of built in operators are here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/147247069/Bubbles-Brewery2-Operations

>
> Many thanks,
>
> PJ
>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian...@gmail.com

Peder Jakobsen

unread,
Oct 31, 2013, 1:37:41 PM10/31/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 31, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian...@gmail.com> wrote:


I'm sure it can. I did similar operations with its precursor DataBrewery and started to convert to Bubbles. Unfortunately my code for that is on another computer, that I do not have access to at the moment.  If it helps the list of built in operators are here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/147247069/Bubbles-Brewery2-Operations


It would be great to have all these operations in used in some example scripts so newbies can grasp more quickly what it’s for and how to use it.  I will gladly contribute that to the project if I can ask for your continued support as I work my way through learning about Bubbles.

Thanks again for all your support today Adrain :)

Peder 

Adrian Klaver

unread,
Oct 31, 2013, 1:40:15 PM10/31/13
to datab...@googlegroups.com
On 10/31/2013 10:37 AM, Peder Jakobsen wrote:
>
> On Oct 31, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian...@gmail.com
> <mailto:adrian...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>
>> I'm sure it can. I did similar operations with its precursor
>> DataBrewery and started to convert to Bubbles. Unfortunately my code
>> for that is on another computer, that I do not have access to at the
>> moment. If it helps the list of built in operators are here:
>>
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/147247069/Bubbles-Brewery2-Operations
>
>
> It would be great to have all these operations in used in some example
> scripts so newbies can grasp more quickly what it�s for and how to use
> it. I will gladly contribute that to the project if I can ask for your
> continued support as I work my way through learning about Bubbles.

I will see if I can put something together by the end of this week. I am
still in the learning stages also, so I may be asking questions too:)

>
> Thanks again for all your support today Adrain :)
>
> Peder
>
--
Adrian Klaver
adrian...@gmail.com
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages