Roles of executables in out/DebugARCH directories

Goran Ferenc

May 16, 2016, 9:51:02 AM5/16/16
to Dartino Discuss
Hello All,

I am interested in roles of executables in out/DebugARCH directories?

Among others there are dartino, dartino-vm and dart executable files. Can someone explain which role has each of them?

Best regards,
Goran

Søren Gjesse

May 17, 2016, 9:42:53 AM5/17/16
to Goran Ferenc, Dartino Discuss
Hi Goran,

We have the following binaries for most architectures:

dartino-vm: The standalone VM which support both building programs and running programs from snapshots
dartino: Small executable for driving the compiler. The compiler is written in Dart and is run through the Dart VM
dart: The "classic" Dart VM for running the compiler. This binary is not build bu this project, but copied from third_party/bin
dartino-flashify: Tool to generate an assembler file for the Dartino program heap from a Dartino snapshot. This can be used to link a Dartino program into an executable using normal ld. This is used when running Dartino programs on embedded devices.
flashtool: Tool for generating a Dartino program heap which can be loaded by a VM running on an embedded device. Using this is somewhat complicated, and we are working on ways to improve this.
*_cc_tests: binaries for running the tests written in C++.
libdartino.a: The Dartino VM as a static library

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Søren

Goran Ferenc

May 18, 2016, 6:01:01 AM5/18/16
to Dartino Discuss
Hi Søren,

Thank you for this prompt reply.

If I am correct, the arhitecture should be like this:
dartino-vm = dartino compiler + virtual machine?

I mean, we should be able to run dart programs using only dartino-vm, without having dart and dartino executables in out/DebugARCH? If this is true, what are the commands I should use?
From the dartino wiki page, this is possible only if I use "./dartino export dart_progam.dart to dart_progam.snapshot", and then run "./dartino-vm dart_progam.snapshot". So, in order to make the snapshot I have to use dartino executable which uses dart executable as well...

Regards,
Goran

Søren Gjesse

May 19, 2016, 9:42:06 AM5/19/16
to Goran Ferenc, Dartino Discuss
Repeating the (accidental) private reply to the list.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Goran Ferenc <goran...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Søren,

Thank you for this prompt reply.

If I am correct, the arhitecture should be like this:
dartino-vm = dartino compiler + virtual machine?

The dartino-vm is only the VM and runtime - not the compiler. The compiler is a Dart program running in the "classic" Dart VM, which is invoked using the dartino program. As part of the compilation the Dartino VM is used as well.

I mean, we should be able to run dart programs using only dartino-vm, without having dart and dartino executables in out/DebugARCH? If this is true, what are the commands I should use?
From the dartino wiki page, this is possible only if I use "./dartino export dart_progam.dart to dart_progam.snapshot", and then run "./dartino-vm dart_progam.snapshot". So, in order to make the snapshot I have to use dartino executable which uses dart executable as well...

You are right that you can run dart programs using only the dartino-vm. You run the compiler 'dartino export dart_progam.dart to dart_progam.snapshot' on a host machine which supports the compiler, and then transfer the snapshot to the device where only the dartino-vm is available. The snapshot is architecture independent and does not have to be produced on a machine with the target architecture.

Regards,
Søren