An update on Dartino

Dartino Discuss

Sep 1, 2016, 7:05:24 AM9/1/16
to Dartino Discuss

We started the Dartino project more than a year ago to experiment with how well we could run Dart on small devices. Our initial results were very promising, and timing was good with all the buzz about growth in the IoT space. However, over time we also learned about the extreme hardware fragmentation in the embedded space, and we realized that mainstream adoption of a high-level language on embedded is not likely short term for various reasons.

As a consequence we are ending the experiment and putting further investment in Dartino on hold. We remain committed to open source, so the full source code will still be available on GitHub, but we will no longer actively maintain it.

While this is a bittersweet moment for Dartino, it has positive effects on the Dart project overall. We will be applying the resources to invest further in two key areas:

  1. Making Dart webdev (https://webdev.dartlang.org) the most productive stack for web apps, incl. shipping a great Dart version of Angular2

  2. Making Flutter (https://flutter.io) the best way of building high-quality cross-platform mobile apps, incl. great Dart tooling and performance

Regards, The Dartino team

This conversation is locked