dart mud

Matt

Jul 18, 2012, 9:12:42 PM7/18/12
to dartga...@googlegroups.com
While not what most would consider game development now, here is the start, though somewhat neglected, of my Dart-mud project.

https://github.com/butlermatt/Dart-mud

Hopefully with any luck, I'll get the opportunity to work on it again in the near future.

It originally started as just some sample server side programming in dart, so it's far from clean.

Matt

Spot Allen

Jul 19, 2012, 7:11:28 AM7/19/12
to dartga...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see a mud framework in dart. This is definitely on my list to check out.

Is this just a playground for you, or do you have any plans for a structured offering?

Spot

Matt

Jul 19, 2012, 8:00:05 AM7/19/12
to dartga...@googlegroups.com
Is this just a playground for you, or do you have any plans for a structured offering?

Spot

To be honest, a little of both. Development is slow and scattered as my free time is limited and I have a number of other projects in mind as well. However that being said it is an area that I quite enjoy working on and developing. I have a number of additions and changes in mind already that I would like to implement.

Looking at the source you can probably see its just a playground at the moment, without things like password encryption (that was done before the crypto library was released), and I still haven't implemented the full telnet protocol for things like disabling local echo and implementing it server side. Again particularly important for passwords.

However the above things and many more are on my radar, and in time I would love to see it become a fully structured offering which can be deployed and used by anyone, with a solid mudlib to start with and with a secure driver on back end.

I've also considered a couple additional options as well such as a web-based client, (written in dart as well of course) that would connect probably via WebSocket's, to be able to add some nice front end customizations.

Matt

Dominic Hamon

Jul 19, 2012, 10:50:43 AM7/19/12
to dartga...@googlegroups.com
What I love about this community is how often someone posts "Hey, look at this neat thing!" and I get to cross another item of my infinite TODO list.

Very cool work.

Having a web front-end would be great, but if you're implementing the telnet protocol, this could be a generic web-based telnet client (in Dart, of course) or MUD client, with support for aliases, mapping, etc.