Extra-terrestrial water found for first time in meteorite that landed in UK

Lee

Sep 17, 2022, 3:12:44 PM9/17/22
to DSgroup

EXCERPT:

"Speaking at De Montfort University, which is hosting the festival, Dr King revealed that analysis suggests that the meteorite derived from an asteroid somewhere near Jupiter."

It would seem that Andy's neck of the woods is producing evidence for the collision theory, which holds that the asteroids between Mars and Jupiter are remnants of the collision.

Article here:

https://news.sky.com/story/extra-terrestrial-water-found-for-first-time-in-meteorite-that-landed-in-uk-12699481

--Lee

Andy Lloyd

Sep 21, 2022, 7:05:41 AM9/21/22
to DSgroup, zle...@peoplepc.com

UK Meteorite Evidences Water from Asteroids

Image credit: Natural History Museum

A lot of good science can be done on space rocks that have landed on Earth.  The problem is that meteorites can get contaminated (particularly by water) if left around for a while before being found by humans.  That's why it's so important to scientists if meteorites can be found shortly after their meteoric plunge through the atmosphere sensationally lights up the sky.

So, when a meteor was spotted by multiple sources crossing the UK skies in February 2021 the race was on to find whatever remnants, if any, made it to the ground.  Thanks to the work of the 'Fireball Alliance', the trajectory of the meteor was tracked and an approximate landing site extrapolated.  And, rather delightfully, the resulting meteorite was found sitting on a driveway in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire (1).  Admittedly, not exactly Chicxulub - more like the coalman dropped a few briquettes on the drive during his delivery!  However - and Maggie Thatcher can take a bit of credit here - the homeowners did not confuse this extraterrestrial package for solid fuel, and duly alerted the good men and women of science.

Because all of this took place within 12 hours, the meteorite fragments were not contaminated by their new earthly environment.  Subsequent analysis of the precious space rock indicated a carbonaceous chondrite rock which likely originated from the asteroid belt near Jupiter.  There's water in the meteorite, and its D/H signature is a close match for Earth water. This is in common with asteroids in the outer asteroid belt.

If water from Earth originated from impactors, then it's the asteroids that we can credit for our oceans rather than the comets:

"...data from missions to comets suggest they are not a good match for the water on earth: "The composition of the water in Winchcombe is a much better match, so that would imply that asteroids - carbonaceous asteroids - were probably the main source of water to the inner solar system, to the Earth." [explained Dr Ashley King of the Natural History Museum]" (2)

But, as regular readers of this blog will appreciate, that's not necessarily the whole story.  Anyway, this story is a local one for me personally - I live about 15 miles from Winchcombe.  So, it could just as easily have been my driveway which played host to this extraterrestrial visitation.  Alan Alford would have been proud.