Did Earth get its water from… the Sun?

Lee

Nov 30, 2021, 10:02:31 AM11/30/21
to DSgroup
If true, the Earth couldn't have been where it is now--Lee:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/astronomy/solar-wind-earth-water-hayabusa/

wayne james

Nov 30, 2021, 10:27:51 AM11/30/21
to Lee, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
Finally they are begging to see the chemistry of our environment.

An oxygen rich planet with a magnetic field like earth's will produce water by mixing at the polar region vortex with charged hydrogen from space.

This also explains why earth was once an ocean planet, 4 billion years is a lot of water so where is it now? Something hit the ancient earth or at least a glancing blow that scooped away a big portion of the water mass as well as dragging earth's lost moons away from the planet.

Kind regards
Wayne

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, 15:02 'Lee' via Dark Star Planet X, <dark-star...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
If true, the Earth couldn't have been where it is now--Lee:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/astronomy/solar-wind-earth-water-hayabusa/

Lee

Nov 30, 2021, 11:18:51 AM11/30/21
to wayne james, DSgroup

I believe that water from the collision is all over the area between Mars and Jupiter   It's on the asteroids, it's on the Moon, it's on Mars. it's on the comets.  I call that the "fingerprints" of the collision.

--Lee

wayne james

Nov 30, 2021, 11:38:05 AM11/30/21
to Lee, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
It's also been mopped up by Jupiter. The vacuum cleaner for the inner solar system.

Kind regards
Wayne

wayne james

Nov 30, 2021, 11:51:48 AM11/30/21
to Lee, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
Watch this video, you'll see how a planet with a magnetic field holds onto its oxygen between the poles. It also shows you what happened to Mars.

https://youtu.be/Lt4P6ctf06Q

Now all you need to know is that space is full of hydrogen and work out how this is combining at the poles.

Every planet shows signs of polar ice, well those we can actually see and study.

Kind regards
Wayne

wayne james

Nov 30, 2021, 12:36:20 PM11/30/21
to Lee, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
Also concider the work I did on Venus.  Magnetic field? Yes but inverse at present allowing Venus to hold onto its oxygen in the form of CO2. When rotation returns to normal on Venus it will prove me correct again. All be it that's about 80 years plus from now but hey, when that magnetic field switches back on, bang they will see a new mystery and solve this issue for all mankind.

Kind regards
Wayne

Andy Lloyd

Dec 7, 2021, 5:30:29 AM12/7/21
to Lee, dark-star...@googlegroups.com, semaj...@gmail.com

Water from the Sun?

As with science more generally, the Dark Star website has been debating the origin of Earth's water for a long time (1).  What's unusual here is that the anomalies thrown up by the Earth's abundant oceans form part of an argument about the origin of the planet itself.  Put simply, the Earth is too close to the Sun to have so much water remaining on it.  The water should have been blasted away long ago by heat and the action of the solar wind.

Scientists have long answered this using the 'late veneer' hypothesis whereby water is deposited during the impact of water-rich asteroids and comets.  It's a complex offering, with a competing but allied concept of 'late accretion' to consider (2).  Either way, the chemical composition of water here on Earth - and among the asteroids and comets most likely to have caused this water-dump - don't match (3).  Instead, Earth's water more closely matches asteroids located in the outer asteroid belt.

Picking up on Zecharia Sitchin's notion of a migrating Earth - following a collision during an encounter with a rogue Planet X body and its moons (4) - the whole mystery could be resolved in an Occam's Razor sort of way by assuming that Earth formed where the asteroid belt currently is.  Indeed, the belt itself may be debris from the cosmic encounter with the rogue planet, containing chunks of our own planet.  The concept of migrating planets is hardly new.  Indeed, much of our current cosmology rest upon it (e.g. the Nice model).  Earth's formation in this zone would likely require Jupiter to have formed a bit further out, but this is hardly beyond the realm of possibility either.

Recent scientific work may offer an alternative explanation - at least partly.  Instead of comets and asteroids being the vectors for water delivery, how about the solar wind?  Space dust is prevalent throughout the solar system (seen in the so-called zodiacal light').  The action of the solar wind can ionise hydrogen into protons, allowing chemical reactions on the surface of dust grains which can lead to the production of water.  This concept has been used to account for anomalously high water content distributed within the dusty regolith on the Moon's surface

"“We think of water as this special, magical compound,” said William M. Farrell, a plasma physicist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center ... “But here’s what’s amazing: every rock has the potential to make water, especially after being irradiated by the solar wind.”" (5)

That chemical activity also appears to be happening on asteroids.  Scientists examining samples from Japan’s Hayabusa spacecraft mission, which brought part of the asteroid Itokawa to Earth in 2010, have determined that the isotope ratio of water has been unexpectedly skewed (6).  They consider this to be a result of the action of the Solar Wind providing an 'additional isotopically light reservoir' of proton-rich hydrogen ions, and thus water:

"We used atom probe tomography to directly observe an average ~1 mol% enrichment in water and hydroxyls in the solar-wind-irradiated rim of an olivine grain from the S-type asteroid Itokawa. We also experimentally confirm that H+ irradiation of silicate mineral surfaces produces water molecules. These results suggest that the Itokawa regolith could contain ~20 L m−3 of solar-wind-derived water and that such water reservoirs are probably ubiquitous on airless worlds throughout our Galaxy." (7)

It's a big jump from this finding to water generation on a planet wrapped with a significant atmosphere, like Earth.  After all, the chemical reactions take place on the rock which, on Earth, is shielded from proton bombardment.  Further, water created during the primordial Earth phases would be subject to drying activities by the Sun.  This abundant delivery system should also have profound repercussions for water on Mars, surely?

At the moment it seems reasonable to conclude that Earth's weird water remains an anomaly.

Written by Andy Lloyd,  7th December 2021

https://www.andylloyd.org/darkstarblog86.htm

Andy Lloyd's Dark Star Blog 86, November-December 2021

1)  Andy Lloyd 'The Great Water Conundrum' 2nd April 2002

https://www.darkstar1.co.uk/water.html

2)  Alessandro Morbidelli & Bernard Wood "Late Accretion and the Late Veneer" 17 Nov 2014

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.4563.pdf

3)  M. Drake & K. Righter “Determining the composition of the Earth” Nature 416 (7th March) 2002

4)  Zecharia Sitchin "The Twelfth Planet" Avon Books 1976

5)  Lonnie Shekhtman "How Ingredients for Water Could Be Made on the Surface of Moon" 20 February 2019

NASA article

6)  Ellen Phiddian "Did Earth get its water from… the Sun?" 30 November 2021 with thanks to Lee

Cosmos Magazine article

7)  Luke Daly et al "Solar wind contributions to Earth’s oceans" Nat Astron 29 November 2021

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-021-01487-w#Abs1

Many thanks,

Andy Lloyd

BSc(Hons) PGCE PGCAP HEA RGN

Dec 8, 2021, 12:59:09 PM12/8/21
to wayne james, DSgroup
Hey Wayne,

No doubt, and similarly with ozone (O3).  Oxygen is a really reactive element,  It wasn't present in Earth's early atmosphere.  Oxygen started to emerge as an atmospheric gas when life began to manufacture the stuff in bulk (algae, plants through photosynthesis) a billion years or more after Earth formed.  But oxygen was always tied up in rocks, mostly oxide ores of magnesium, aluminium, silicates etc.

The astrophysicists looking at the generation of water from protons aren't thinking too much about atmospheric chemistry, but rather direct exposure of the oxides available in rocks to proton bombardment (exacerbated by the solar wind).  That can work for the Moon and asteroids and water-laden micrometeorites, and maybe even Mars, but can it really work for a planet with a think, non-oxygenated atmosphere like the early Earth?  No, not really.  Which means the water got here by some other means.

But yeah, that's not to say that there aren't some reactions going on in the atmosphere (particularly now).  There just wouldn't have been much oxygen up there in the early Earth, beyond what was bound up in unhelpful CO2.  Your polar vortex/electric chemistry point is well made though.  I imagine Jupiter has loads going on with that.  Some really rich chemistry.

Little known fact - when I was about to start my PhD in chemistry, I seriously considered working for Stanley Miller, the guy who had carried out the life-from-primordial-soup experiments with Harold Urey way back when.  The only reason I didn't was because he had become pretty weird in his old age, withdrawn from academia and not too supportive of his students - or so I heard from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  As it turned out, it wouldn't have worked out.  But it was such a difficult decision at the time.  I loved that work, although if it was really old-fashioned chemistry - even back in the 80s!

Many thanks,

Andy Lloyd

BSc(Hons) PGCE PGCAP HEA RGN

Dec 19, 2021, 7:20:04 AM12/19/21
to Andy Lloyd, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
This is off topic but I just wanted you all to see simplicity of complexity in a way I do. I know my physics is way outside the box of normality but to be honest you discover nothing by living in the confined space of comfort... ☺️

This example here shows duality in a way I already understand. The electron on a wire is oh so similar.

Kind regards
Wayne