Lee's AU question, a really rough approximate answer

johnkeeb

Oct 15, 2021, 9:37:45 PM10/15/21
to dark-star...@googlegroups.com

Some math bits:

Diameter of the Milky Way: 170,000-200,000 Light Years.

1 AU = 149,600,000 kilometers or 1.496x10^8 kilometers.

1 light year = 9.467x10^12 kilometers.

1 light year = 9.467x10^12 km / 1.496x10^8 km per AU = 63,282 AU

Sols distance from center of  Milky Way = 27,000 Light Years

ASKAP J173608.2-321635 is thought to be 4 degrees from center of the Milky Way. But we dont know what direction. So at best one has to assume it is on the outer edge of a sphere with a radius of 4 degrees worth of AU centered in the Milky Way galaxy, where a sphere having a radius of 86 degrees worth of AU would be at the outer edge of the Milky Way galaxy, then (4/90) * (range of 85,000 100,000 LY) = 2,000 4,444 LY range from the Galactic center.

So Im guessing Sol is 25,000 22,556 LY from ASKAP J173608.2-321635, or 1,582,050,000 to 1,427,388,792 AU from ASKAP J173608.2-321635.

Too far to travel unless one started very nearly following the origination of the Milky Way!

Thanks!

John Keebaugh

wayne james

Oct 23, 2021, 3:32:36 AM10/23/21
to john...@ix.netcom.com, dark-star...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed. And with proximity that close to the centre of the galaxy there isn't anything we have that could visualise this object, numerical data too would be difficult due to proximity to the core. We can only guess as to what it is.

It could be a number of things to be honest. A neutron star being ripped apart by a blackhole in opposing rotation, a star in opposition, a collision. Really it could be anything! It could even be a blackhole. Common sense says if mass distorts light to the extent that a blackhole sheds no light then it's mass must affect its spin state if it keeps eating everything, thus mass increases slowing the spin state slightly and a blackhole could become visible as a bright white sphere for a very short period of time till spin regains momentum to suck light back in.

So many possibilities that mainline miss blinkered math.

Kind regards
Wayne

Kind regards
Wayne