Nebra Sky Disc: British Museum to display world's 'oldest map of stars'

Lee

Oct 18, 2021, 11:46:58 AM10/18/21
to DSgroup
Andy had something t say on this years ago, but I can't find it on his site--Lee:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58946633

Andy Lloyd

Oct 21, 2021, 6:09:30 AM10/21/21
to DSgroup, zle...@peoplepc.com
Hi Lee,

Yes, I remember writing about it when it was first unearthed.  An amazing artifact.

The gist of what I wrote was that the historic dating of the Nebra disc coincided with alleged reappearance of Nibiru around 1600 BC - a claim that was doing the rounds back then with respect to a presumed return in our modern times.  One might argue that the two crescents indicate a significant 3rd celestial event alongside the more obvious Sun and Moon.  At the time they invoked Venus.  but allusions to Venus for the second crescent are clearly problematic (how can you make out Venus's crescent shape without binoculars??).

I guess the experts now believe that the two crescents represent two distinct phases of the Moon (or partial eclipses), rather than a usurper object.  Or maybe the whole thing is the visual transition of a total eclipse?  Who knows.  It's a great mystery all the same.

I love the bronze age artwork particularly on this artifact.  I have to say I am excited about the Stonehenge exhibition at the British Museum and will plan a visit to the Big Smoke in the late winter to see this object in person!  Maybe I'll even be able to drag Mrs DarkStar along?

Many thanks,

Andy