Concordance of Osborne's Quatrain Translation

Ervina Bajrami

Feb 11, 2024, 12:06:32 AMFeb 11
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salaam!

First I hope you are doing well and I thank you for the immense work you are doing here. I just got a copy of Osborne's Divan-i Kabir Vol. 1 (The Quatrains). On the back of it there are two concord of his rendition, one of them it is said to be that of Foruzanfar's critical edition (seemingly published by Iranian Institute of Philosophy, 2007).

Now, I saw that the concord given in Osborne's book does not correspond for instance with the quatrains that are in ganjoor's website, which I thought are from Foruzanfar's critical edition, neither it corresponds with any of the available Divans on archive.org (that I could check) - they all seem to have different numbers somehow.

For instance, Osborne's first quatrain is said to be F-60. But when I check on ganjoor, the quatrain number 60 is totally different.

I am a bit confused on this, and since I do not know Persian I am even more confused!

My question is, is there a concord (as you did for the ghazals, which is a great work indeed) for quatrains translated by Osborne that could easily be found on ganjoor or the 10 volume Foruzanfar's edition?

Or do you have any link where I could possibly find the one Osborne was consulting, i.e., the one published in 2007 by Iranian Institute of Philosophy? If not, do you have any guidance in general regarding this problem?

I hope that I was not very messy in my question.

Thank you in advance and kind regards,
Ervina Bajrami

Ibrahim

Feb 11, 2024, 1:38:21 AMFeb 11
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Ervina,

Thank you for your kind remarks about my website and books. The most respected Persian edition of Rumi's Divan was edited by the great  Iranian scholar, Foruzanfar and was published by the University of Tehran in 10 volumes (Kulliyat-e shams ya divan-e kabir). Volume 8 is the quatrains (ordered alphabetically by Foruzanfar, 1 - 1983, F-1 to F-1983), which has been translated by us (Farhadi and Gamard) as The Quatrains of Rumi, in 2008). Since one of us (Dr. Farhadi) arranged all the quatrains into themes of the lover and beloved. For this reason we gave another set of numbers to all the quatrains: FG-1 to FG-1983 (Farhadi-Gamard)..

What has confused so many people (including the great and late American Rumi scholar, Franklin Lewis) is that a one-volume, or sometimes two-volume, edition of Foruzanfar's edition (Kulliyat-e shams-e tabrizi) was published (apparently with his permission) before he had finished editing the quatrains, the tarji'bands, and the last of the ghazals. The commercial publisher made up for this deficit by adding quatrains, tarji'bands, and ghazals from inferior sources. As a result, the quatrains in the commercial edition (which I call "mostly Foruzanfar" or "pseudo-Foruzanfar") were ordered in a different kind of alphabetiical order and have different numbers. More recently, Osborne has translated all the quatrains from an ancient manuscript (edited by Tawfiq Sobhani) which uses two more sets of numbers (Sobhani's and Osborne's).

In the new edition of The Quatrains of Rumi, we have updated the quatrains concordance to include data from Osborne's translation, as well as several others that re published since our edition was first published. Here is what the new edition says about the quatrain that you cited:

F-60: FG-632. Osb-1,...
Which corresponds to quatrain no. 60 i n the commercial edition and on ganjoor.net.

There is no concordance of the true Foruzanfar-numbered quatrain editions and those of the commercial volume.

Unfortunately the people at ganjoor.net were fooled by the pseudo-Foruzanfar volume and have adopted the incorrect numbers and texts.The only places whee the correct Foruzanfar edition and numbers appear are on the University of Teheran website and at the shamsrumi.com website:

Ibrahim Gamard

Ibrahim

Ervina Bajrami

Feb 11, 2024, 1:27:02 PMFeb 11
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Ibrahim,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation and the rather fast response. The website shamsrumi.com helps a lot.
Immensely grateful.

With kind regards,
Ervina Bajrami