Safa Anthology

Ibrahim

Aug 14, 2022, 6:27:25 PM8/14/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Does anyone know what is the "Safa Anthology"? It was cited by Coleman Barks as the source of one of his ghazal versions (presumably a Persian book owned by John Moyne, who provided an English translation to Barks).

Ibrahim

--------------------

Dear Willow Light,

I have never found the "Safa Anthology" or the source of this ghazal version by Coleman Barks:

"All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
This drunkenness began in some other tavern
Who says words with my mouth?"
--The Essential Rumi, p. 2.

I have asked contacts in Iran, to no avail. Probably, this is in a Rumi section of an Iranian anthology of Persian poetry and is harder to identify because the name of Rumi [Mōlavī] does not appear in the book's title.

Today, I searched an index of verses in the Dīvān ("har rūz...', hame rūz...") but no luck. I did the same search on ganjoor.net as well.

I can post your request (using your pseudonym) on the Google Group connected to my website and perhaps someone may know something.
Best wishes,

Ibrahim

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 1:17 PM Willow Light <faith...@gmx.com> wrote:
Hello again,

You have helped me several times in the past, and I am grateful.

Recently I have been trying to discover what the Safa Anthology is, to no avail. It is given by Coleman Barks as the source for his version "Who speaks these words with my mouth," which appears in his book Open Secret as well as in The Essential Rumi.

Alternatively, or additionally, if you are familiar with a valid source for this Barks version, I would be most grateful.

Deep thanks,

Katayoun Goudarzi

Aug 15, 2022, 4:41:31 PM8/15/22
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ibrahim,

Not sure if this is helpful but I have read this ghazal in Dr. Shafiei Kadkani's Selection of Divān-e Shams (both the original and the newer edition).
In the last chapter of both, this ghazal was specified as one that was attributed to Mawlānā.  Dr. Kadkani eloquently explained that the authorship/authenticity of this poem was definitely questionable as a lot of its verses remind the readers of Omar Khayyam and his school of thought.

It is also worth mentioning that some of the verses also appear in Khāghāni (1120-1199) as well as همام الدین تبریزی Humām Tabrizi's (1238-1314) Divān.

I can check Dr. Kadkani's when I get home and send you a copy of this ghazal and his notes if you wish but for now I just copy/pasted the version available on the web below which may or may not entirely match his.

Best regards,
Katayoun Goudarzi

روزها فکر من این است و همه شب سخنم

که چرا غافل از احوال دل خویشتنم
از کجا آمده ام آمدنم بهر چه بود
به کجا میروم آخر ننمایی وطنم
مانده ام سخت عجب کز چه سبب ساخت مرا
یا چه بوده است مراد وی از این ساختنم
آنچه از عالم عِلوی است من آن میگویم
رخت خود باز بر آنم که همانجا فکنم
مرغ باغ ملکوتم نِیم از عالم خاک
چند روزی قفسی ساخته اند از بدنم
کیست آن گوش که او می شنود آوازم
یا کدام است سخن می کند اندر دهنم
کیست در دیده که از دیده برون می نگرد
یا چه جان است نگویی که منش پیرهنم
تا به تحقیق مرا منزل و ره ننمایی
یک دم آرام نگیرم نفسی دم نزنم
می وصلم بچشان تا در زندان ابد
به یکی عربده مستانه به هم درشکنم
من به خود نامدم اینجا که به خود باز روم
آنکه آورد مرا باز برد تا وطنم
تو مپندار که من شعر به خود می گویم
تا که هشیارم و بیدار یکی دم نزنم

Ibrahim

Aug 15, 2022, 4:57:28 PM8/15/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Katyoun,
Salām,

Thank you for finding this ghazal. No need to post Dr. Kadkani's reasons for its inauthenticity, since what you summarized (such as resemblances to the works of Omar Khayyam and other poets) is sufficient. Barks' version follows the original meanings well enough, except for his last lines:
 "This poetry. I never know what I'm going to say. I don't plan it. When I'm outside the saying of it, I get very quiet and rarely speak at all."

Here's a preliminary translation of some verses:

“(During) the days, my thoughts are about it and all night, my words: why am I inattentive of the states of my heart?  From where have I come? My coming is for the sake of what? …Or who is speaking words inside my mouth? …Don’t think I am composing poetry by my own (choice), since I don’t do it consciously for a moment.”

Ibrahim

Ibrahim

Aug 16, 2022, 3:09:16 PM8/16/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
"Willow Light," the original questioner, wrote:

Dear Ibrahim,

What a wonderful resource is your discussion group.

The Coleman Barks version is being used as "evidence" in other contexts (e.g., "pre-birth memories"), which is what sparked my interest. I now know this is a misuse, thanks to your detective work!

My deepest gratitude,