Poem sung by Mohammed Reza Lotfi

KhalidW

Jul 9, 2022, 12:37:30 AM7/9/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salam alaykum Shaykh Ibrahim and all,

I am trying to find the author of a poem that Mohammed Reza Lotfi sings in one of his performances. The part he sings begins like this:

باده نوشیدن به کام جان خوش است

جان فشاندن بر رخ جانان خوش است

لب نهادم بر لب جانان به کام

روی بر رویش در این دوران خوش است

I cannot find it on Ganjoor or anywhere else, except a couple of blogs that only mention Lotfi singing it. However it does turn up on a Google Books search in a 1917 edition of the Kulliyat Shams Tabrizi (it only gives a snippet view so I can't see the context, and it is not in any edition of the Diwan that I can find.) Is it by Rumi? I would be very grateful if anyone can shed light!

All the best and Eid Mubarak,

Khalid

Ibrahim Gamard

Jul 9, 2022, 1:57:58 AM7/9/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Khālid,
Wa 'alaykuma 's-salām wa 'Eid mubārak,

It can be asserted that the quatrain you asked about was definitely not composed by Rumi because it is not included in volume eight (Robā'īyāt) of Kolliyāt-e shams yā dīvān--e kabīr, the critical edition based on the earliest manuscripts, edited by the great Iranian Rumi scholar, Forūzānfar, and published in 1969 (1983 quatrains). Volume eight was translated into English (with the poems rearranged according to themes) by Afghan scholar, Rawan Farhadi and myself as The Quatrains of Rumi, 2008.

There are many verses that have been sung, sometimes for centuries, with a claim of being composed by Rumi—but they are not authentic.

Ibrahim

KhalidW

Jul 9, 2022, 10:26:25 PM7/9/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Many thanks for the quick response, and God bless.