Masnavi, complete Persian text

Ibrahim Gamard

Feb 26, 2021, 8:51:36 PM2/26/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
smira.tabesh attached a pdf of the entire Persian text of the Masnavi to an earlier topic heading ("New comer seeking..."). But the text of the Masnavi needs its own heading.

I believe that it is Mahdî Âzâr Yazdî's edition of the Masnavi, which I found years ago on the Internet, divided into about seven sections. This current edition is better since it is in one piece and is nicely searchable. It is the same edition that is on masnavi.net, except the latter version has the advantage of having the Nicholson verse numbers: http://www.masnavi.net/2/50/eng/1/1/

The Yazdi edition conforms nicely to Nicholson's translation (1926-34). However, it retains the popular wording of the first verse as "bi-shnō az nay chūn hekāyat mī-konad/ az judā'iyhā shikāyat mī-konad" (Listen from the reed-flute how it is telling a story, complaining about separations). In contrast, all modern edition have the original reading from the Konya Manuscript: "bi-shnō īn nay chūn shekāyat mī-konad/ az judā'iyhā hikāyat mī-konad" (Listen to this reed how it complains, telling a tale of separations). http://www.masnavi.net/

I changed the opening verse on masnavi.net so that it conforms with the original wording. But I was unable to correct the audio (which has, "bi-shnō az nay...).

Ibrahim
Masnavi.complete.Yazdi.edition.webloc