Authenticity of quote

Akif Eyler

Mar 29, 2024, 1:22:10 PMMar 29
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
The attached saying is attributed to Rumi:

You deem the pen made the writing, if you ignore the hand
You deem the tree made the fruit,  if you ignore the Hand

Nice words, but I cannot find the source

_Akif_Eyler_
Image 2024-03-29 .jpg

Ibrahim

Mar 29, 2024, 1:43:55 PMMar 29
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dea Profesor Eyler,

Thank you for your kind words about my dar-al-masnavi.org website.

Regarding this type of "Rumi quote", which doesn't sound like fake Rumi but seems like it might be based on an accurate translation, you can use the search box on masnavi.net. For example;

Ibrahim

Ibrahim

Apr 1, 2024, 3:30:59 AMApr 1
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Professor Eyler,

Thank you again. And welcome to the discussion group of dar-al-masnavi.org.

Per the search method that I demonstrated in my last email, a search of the two key words on my other website, masnavi.net, "pen  hand," yields 49 cases and the original quote is easily found:

 "One who sees not the hand in the writing thinks (that) the act (of writing proceeds) from the pen by means of movement.'  Book 1:394, translated by Nicholson, 1926

An earlier British scholar had translated

"Like a pen in the directing hand of the writer, he who sees not the pen which effects the writing fancies the effect proceeds from the motion of the pen." (translated by Whinfield,1884)

I cannot determine who made the rhymed version that you inquired about
]"You deem the pen made the writing, if you ignore the hand /  You deem the tree made the fruit if you ignore the Hand"], but this person artificially paired it with a verse from Masnavi Book 4: 524, translated by Nicholson aa:

:"You deem the pen made the writing, if you ignore the hand
You deem the tree made the fruit if you ignore the Hand."

Ibrahim

Akif Eyler

Apr 1, 2024, 11:47:10 AMApr 1
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Muhterem Ibrahim Efendi, thank you for the clarification.

The search engine in masnavi.net is indeed powerful, especially Regular Expressions.

The original quote in Turkish is common in Türkiye
"Eli görmeyen kişi yazıyı kalem yazdı sanır,
Allah'ın kudretini görmeyen kişi, meyveyi ağaç yaptı sanır"
It is used in about 2000 web pages:
https://google.com/search?q="Eli+görmeyen+kişi"

If I understand you correctly, half of this quote is from Rumi
One who sees not the hand in the writing thinks
(that) the act from the pen by means of movement.

... but the second half is "artificially paired" from other sources.

I found a better expression for the same quote:
Kalem yazdı sanırsın... hattat elini görmezsen
Ağaç  yaptı sanırsın... Kudret Elini görmezsen

_Akif_Eyler_

Kudret eli.jpg

Ibrahim

Apr 1, 2024, 10:19:34 PMApr 1
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Professor Eyler,

I think that you may have found the origin of the Rumi quote about which you inquired: that it is in a quatrain-like format from Turkish sources. Here, I Google-Translate your second Turkish version: "You think the pen wrote... if you don't see the calligrapher's hand
You think the tree made it... If you don't see the Hand of Power." The content of the first half is based upon Masnavi Book 1:394 as I have explained. And the second half is based on Masnavi 4: 524, as I asserted but did not explain (I did a search in masnavi.net for the two terms, "tree fruit," which  led me to http://www.masnavi.net/1/10/eng/4/524/   ).

Of course, these sayings are older than the works of Mevlana Rumi.

Ibrahim