Salam...New comer...Need Help finding "When I run after what I think I want, my days are a furnace of distress and anxiety"

Kashif Vohra

Feb 24, 2021, 3:19:47 PM2/24/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salam to All,
I need help finding original Persian text of "When I run after what I think I want, my days are a furnace of distress and anxiety"
And thank you so much for letting me in and being part of the group

Ibrahim

Feb 25, 2021, 3:33:34 PM2/25/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salām,

That is not a Rumi quote: it is much too New Age, like the "law of attraction" and the "law of karma" which are believed to operate (like the law of gravity) with little need of Divine involvement. However, Rumi was a very prayerful and God-centered mystic. The quote may possibly be someone's gloss on a famous passage in Masnavi:

"When I run after what I think I want, my days are a furnace of distress and anxiety;

If I sit in my own place of patience, what I need flows to me, and without any pain.

From this I understand that what I want also wants me, is looking for me and attracting me.

There is a great secret in this for anyone who can grasp it." ~ Rumi

Ibrahim

Kashif Vohra

Feb 26, 2021, 1:44:35 AM2/26/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Ibrahim...may Allah bless you...
One more poem I need Persian text for, it's from Essential Rumi by Barks Cole:
LIKE THIS
If anyone asks you
how the perfect satisfaction
of all our sexual wanting
will look, lift your face
and say,
Like this.
When someone mentions the gracefulness
of the nightsky, climb up on the roof
and dance and say,
Like this?
If anyone wants to know what "spirit" is,
or what "God's fragrance"' means,
lean your head toward him or her.
Keep your face there close.
Like this.
When someone quotes the old poetic image
about clouds gradually uncovering the moon,
slowly loosen knot by knot the strings
of your robe.
Like this?
If anyone wonders how Jesus raised the dead,
don't try to explain the miracle.
Kiss me on the lips.
Like this. Like this.
When someone asks what it means
to "die for love," point
here.
If someone asks how tall I ani, frown
and measure with your fingers the space
between the creases on your forehead.
This tall.
The soul sometimes leaves the body, then returns.
When someone doesn't believe that,
walk back into my house.
Like this.
When lovers moan,
they're telling our story.
Like this.
I am a sky where spirits live.
Stare into this deepening blue,
while the breeze says a secret.
Like this.
When someone asks what there is to do,
light the candle in his hand.
Like this.
136
How did Joseph's scent come to Jacob?
Huuuuu.
How did Jacob's sight return?
Huuuu.
A little wind cleans the eyes.
Like this.
When Shams comes back from Tabriz,
he'll put just his head around the edge
of the door to surprise us.
Like this.
Rumi...( coleman-barks-the-essential-rumi)
Can I have the Persian text please?
Utmost Regards,
Kashif

Ibrahim Gamard

Feb 26, 2021, 1:56:57 AM2/26/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Kāshif,
Salām,

Coleman Barks does not know Persian. His ghazal "translations" are almost all reinterpretations, paraphrasing, and re-Englishing of the translations from Persian made by the British scholar, Arberry. For this ghazal, the Arberry translation that he used and altered is attached. Here is the Persian text: https://ganjoor.net/moulavi/shams/ghazalsh/sh1826/

Ibrahim

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dar-al-Masnavi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dar-al-masnavi/CA%2BLLB0SV0ztTS3VAZyCcxFHepTM1DEkGxY3qmdBDqK_NcDiR0g%40mail.gmail.com.
Rumi's Ghazal no. 1826.doc

Kashif Vohra

Feb 26, 2021, 3:39:34 AM2/26/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salam,
I feel like a kid in a candy store and I can't hide my excitement, really wonder why haven't I found you earlier.
Can you suggest a better english Translation for this particular Gazal either in Urdu or English?

Ibrahim Gamard

Feb 26, 2021, 6:31:21 PM2/26/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Kāshif,
Salām,

Attached is another translation of the same ghazal by Jeffrey Osborne, who has translated the entire Dīvān from Persian to English.

Here is an example of how you can find by yourself the Arberry ghazal translations that Coleman Barks used to make his versions of them:

(1) Locate the desired poem in The Essential Rumi (here, the original edition) via the Index of First Lines: p. 306––"Like This," 135
(2) Find the poem, pp. 135-137 and note the Chapter number, which is in––12 The Sheikh
(3) Go to References, p. 299, and see––"Like This," #1826 [Here, "1826" is the ghazal number in the Persian edition. By using this number, instead of "Arb 226," Barks suggests that he used the Persian text for his "translation" and avoids admitting directly that he really used Arberry's translation]
(5) Search for 1826 and see poem 226 [this is Arberry's poem number]
(6) Search for 226 (without brackets) and find the ghazal poem: "If any man asks you about the houris..."
(7) Go to the online Persian website page––https://ganjoor.net/moulavi/shams/
(8) Search for 1826 (using Persian numbers) and click on "ghazal shomāre-ye 1826"
(9) Read the ghazal in Persian––هر کی ز حور پرسدت رخ بنما که همچنین

Ibrahim

Ghazal-1826.Osborne.jpg

Ibrahim

Feb 27, 2021, 3:24:51 PM2/27/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Kashif,
Salām,

If you have the Foruzanfar number of a given ghazal (that is, from the critical edition edited by the great Iranian scholar, Forūzānfar) you can also use my ghazals concordance
 (http://dar-al-masnavi.org/erg-foruz-concord.html   ) to find the translations of it into English. Of course, you can use the same number to find the corresponding Persian text on ganjoor.net

Ibrahim