Atoms and dust motes

En Ja Su Ri

Sep 7, 2021, 5:05:03 PM9/7/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salam;

Dear Ibrahim Effendi;

I have found several references of dust motes in Osborne's translation.

The roman atomist Lucretius illustrates the movement of atoms in the void with the image of a dust mote in a sunbeam.

Quatrain 462 (in Osborne's sequence) begins:

"The beloved is shining like the sun and the lover is spinning like a dust mote"

Might that be a reference to the atomists?

Ibrahim

Sep 7, 2021, 5:15:41 PM9/7/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salām,

No, it is a reference to ecstatic mystical experience and ecstatic dance-like movements, like dervishes engaged in the samā' (or "mystical concert,"
with mystical verses of poetry sung). This is one of Rumi's most beautiful metaphors. The Arabic word "Zarra" used in Persian is sometimes
translated into English as "atoms" or "particles," but I prefer "motes (of dust).".

En Ja Su Ri

Sep 7, 2021, 6:27:16 PM9/7/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Thank you once again.

Hu!

Safa Kamdideh

Sep 8, 2021, 3:39:42 PM9/8/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salam,

I wanted to add to Ibrahim's answer, the origin of the 'mote and sun' euphemism. As Ibrahim mentioned 'mote' is the closest translation for the word "Zarra" ذره which now in Persian means 'particle'; but at the beginning it was solely used for the small particles (which now we know are mostly dust) seen in the rays of sunlight. These motes had two main characteristics: they would be visible only in the rays of sunlight and they had dance-like movements. Thus, they were believed to be the smallest units of creation that would start dancing when exposed to the benevolence of the sun. Persian poets used 'mote' to emphasise that even the smallest particles feel the love we feel and worship the God we worship, so we mustn't think we're the greatest of creations and be as humble as a particle of dust having a moment of existence in the sunlight. Of course Rumi sees the mote dance as identical with the samā' and adds to it a more beautiful meaning.

One of my favourite uses of 'mote and sun' in the Persian Poetry (that I've read so far) is in this line from Hafez's Ghazal 387:

کمتر از ذره نه‌ای پست مشو مهر بورز
تا به خلوتگه خورشید رسی چرخ زنان

You are no less than a mote, do not be vile, give affection
So that you may reach the sanctum of the sun, whirlingly

Ibrahim

Sep 8, 2021, 3:54:04 PM9/8/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salām Safaka,

Thank you for the additional information. That verse by Hāfez has also been translated by Reza Saberi, The Divan of Hafez, 2002, p. 449):

"You are not less than a mote. Do not  be low! Fall in love,
And, whirling, reach the sun's private chamber."

Panevis

Sep 8, 2021, 3:59:26 PM9/8/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
به هواداری او ذره‌صفت رقص‌کنان
تا لب چشمهٔ خورشید درخشان بروم

حافظ

In desire of him, dancing like a mote,
I will go to the edge of the fountain of the shining sun.

Hafez

Translation by Reza Saberi

Panevis

Sep 8, 2021, 8:46:13 PM9/8/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
به هواداری او ذره‌صفت رقص‌کنان
تا لب چشمهٔ خورشید درخشان بروم

حافظ

With desire for that one, like a mote that is whirling wildly, I will go to the lip of the font of the sun shining brightly.¹

Hafez

¹ "mote....sun" A classic way to describe Fana or self negation.

Translation by:
Jamiluddin Morris Zahuri