Forouzanfar number for a quatrain quoted by Sefik Can Dede

En Ja Su Ri

Apr 1, 2024, 11:47:10 AMApr 1
to Dar-al-Masnavi

Salam

Dear Ibrahim Efendi;

Firstly, allow me to convey Peter Cunz Efendi's regards.

Peter Efendi and I found the following quatrain in Sefik Can Dede's "Fundamentals of Rumi's thought"

"You have valued my turban, robe and head all together and given a price of less than a centime. Have you then never heard my name in this world? I am nothing, nothing, nothing."

The book doesn't indicate the F-number.

Somehow we were misled to believe it was F-1304. Upon careful review, it was not.
Do you have a clue for us?
We are aware that Sefik Can Dede was in the habit of paraphrasing Mevlana's poems, so that would make it more difficult for us to find it.

Thankful, as always;

E.

Kelley Williams

Apr 1, 2024, 5:49:14 PMApr 1
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salaam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktu,

I hope this finds you in good health during this beautiful day in Ramadan!

I hope Shaykh Ibrahim Effendi doesn’t mind but I took it upon myself to look into this for you and I think I found the Forouzanfar number for the quatrain you posted from Sefik Can Dede, may Allah have mercy on him and sanctify his secret.

The quatrain is F-1284 / FG-109 / Osb 647 as provided in The Quatrains of Rumi (Second Revised Edition) (Fons Vitae: Louisville, KY, 2023) pg. 634

Shaykh Ibrahim and Shaykh Rawan have translated it there as:

My turban and gown, and [even] my head-all three together-

Were valued at a penny, or something less.

Have you not heard my name in the world?

I am nobody, I am nobody, I am nobody.

I hope this helps!

JazakAllah khair,

Kelley Shamsaldiin Williams

Kelley Williams

Apr 1, 2024, 5:55:18 PMApr 1
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salaam,

I wanted to correct my last statement somewhat. While I gave you the correct Forouzanfar and Gamard-Farhadi numbers, the Osborne number was wrong. The correct Osborne number is Osb 1714.

Sorry about that!

JazakAllah khair,

Kell. Shamsaldiin Williams

Ibrahim Gamard

Apr 1, 2024, 5:55:18 PMApr 1
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Selam Enrique,

This quatrain ["My turban and gown, and [even] my head..."] is no. 1284 in Foruzanfar's edition of the Ruba'iyat (volume 8) in his edition of the Divan. It is FG-109 in our translation (that is, from Persian by Rawan Farhadi and Ibrahim Gamard) of Foruzafar's volume 8, The Quatrains of Rumi (2008; revised second edition, 2023,  https://www.amazon.com/Quatrains-Rumi-Fons-Vitae/dp/B0CLFVNQ4Z/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Wxl1H9ZgEIDP89RznMzUNuXINtkLEM6xqPFM0BzG5Vp-abv5No5MiQna-3AG0BAKZgcCvlbC5eAhTznCUik2RFgaoIpZHBLPqVwnJzIGWP8.-qZqeQLxai7z4LayKy-HlW_dl74Ewg7sUt3VJDs5I5Y&dib_tag=se&qid=1712006307&refinements=p_27%3AIbrahim+Gamard&s=books&sr=1-1

It is also no. 1421 in Şefk Can's translation  into Turkish (from Persian) of Hz. Mevlånå'nın Rubaileri (of which I have a copy signed by him during one of my visits to see him in his home in Istanbul).

Ibrahim

Juan Thompson

Apr 2, 2024, 12:01:36 PMApr 2
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salaams to all,

I realize that my question does not pertain directly to Rumi, And yet I am hoping that this group might be able to answer my question, or at least point me in the right direction.

I have recently come across some excerpts of Sidi bin Ajiba's commentary on the Kitab al-Hikam. I find them incredibly insightful, and I would very much like to read his entire commentary, but I do not read Arabic. Is anybody aware of an English translation of this commentary, And if so, where I can find it?

Assalamu alaikum,

Ibrahim

Ibrahim Gamard

Apr 2, 2024, 12:42:18 PMApr 2
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
PS. And please convey my selams to Sheikh Hüseyin Peter Cunz Effendi.

This quatrain (and its correct Foruzanfar number) also appears in the translation of Gamard's & Farhadi's The Quatrains of Rumi from English into Swiss-German: Rubâ'îyat-é: Die Vierzeller von Mevlânâ Jalâluddîin Balkhî-Rûmî by Peter Finckh, 2015, p. 42.

Ibrahim

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 8:47 AM En Ja Su Ri <enja...@gmail.com> wrote:

En Ja Su Ri

Apr 5, 2024, 12:06:12 PMApr 5
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Your answer is impeccable as always. Much obliged.
Will convey your Selams to Peter Efendi.

Ps - thanks to Kelley for his answer too.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dar-al-Masnavi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dar-al-masnavi/CAG4B2S_VyU9i%2BDjwVxM4Es31NBSeor5ConX_UqU_BPzXeUonuw%40mail.gmail.com.