Hadith mentioned in Book 1 of Masnavi

iljas

Dec 5, 2023, 12:20:11 AM12/5/23
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salaam.

In Book 1 of Mathnawi, Mevlana explains the following (partial) tradition: "Truly, during the days of your time, your Lord has certain breaths [of Mercy]. So meet them [when they occur]!"

Is this tradition in any of the major collections of hadith or is it one only referred to by Sufis?

Thanks

Iljas

Ibrahim

Dec 5, 2023, 12:48:30 AM12/5/23
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Salām Iljas,

Per Masnavi 1:1951 Heading: I have limited sources to track hadīths, such as Forūzānfar's Ahādīs-e Masnavī. It is most likely a "Sufi-promoted "hadīth", such as "He who knows himself knows his Lord" —that is, a saying quoted by Sufis who sincerely believed in its authenticity, but not found in the best corroborated hadīth collections. Unless someone can show otherwise:

ان لربکم فی ایام دهر کم نفحات الافتعرضوا لها

Ibrahim

Iljas Baker

Dec 5, 2023, 3:02:42 AM12/5/23
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
I thought so. Thanks Ibrahim.

Behnaz Hashemi

Dec 5, 2023, 2:19:16 PM12/5/23
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salām Iljas,

I could find this hadīth in a Telegram channel called مستندات mustanadāt (@mostanaddat), which aims to verify the sound beliefs of 'Ahl us-Sunna wa l-Jamā'a' (Sunni Islam), on a thread dedicated to celebrating the birthday of the Prophet. It appears that they have taken this and other materials from reliable and authentic sources of Sunni Islam.

Here is the link:

Best
Behnaz

Iljas Baker

Dec 6, 2023, 1:19:18 AM12/6/23
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salaam Behnaz,

Thank you for your message but unfortunately I am unable to read it.
Iljas

Behnaz Hashemi

Jan 27, 2024, 3:16:02 PMJan 27
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Iljas,

My sincere apologies for this late reply. As I hadn’t adequately addressed your question, I felt somewhat obligated to provide a compelling answer. This was my first encounter with the subject of Prophetic Traditions in a serious way. I initially had to learn the basics of the subject and then examine the sources introduced in the Arabic passage which I had found on the Web. Meanwhile, I was also quite busy.

The Arabic text, its translation, and accompanying notes are attached to this post. I hope this can help.

Behnaz

Breath of God.docx

Iljas Baker

Jan 27, 2024, 9:11:30 PMJan 27
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Behnaz,

Thanks for your detailed response. It is very helpful. Your effort is much appreciated. I presume some of the Prophetic utterances were directed  at the closest companions,  or spoken in a context where only a few of the companions were present and were likely to benefit from them.

Iljas

Behnaz Hashemi

Feb 11, 2024, 12:06:32 AMFeb 11
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Salām Iljas,

Many thanks for your kind words. I am glad it was helpful.

Just one point: in note no. 13, the Arabic word إنتهی puts an end to the narration of Iraqi which had begun with 'at-Tirmidhi the Hakim.' His narration concludes with the statement: 'and there is a difference of opinion regarding its chain of transmission.'
There was an error in stating that Tirmidhi's narration concludes here.

Behnaz