Original text: "You went out in search of gold far and wide, but all along you were gold on the inside."

Ismail Sultan

Jul 4, 2022, 6:17:26 PM7/4/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Assalam o Alaikum Sir
Good day

Hope this finds you in good health.

I am looking for reference and Farsi translation of following. Searched for it but couldnt find it.

"You went out in search of gold far and wide, but all along you were gold on the inside."

Would appreciate kind support. Many thanks.

Kind regards
Ismail Sultan

Ibrahim

Jul 4, 2022, 6:31:57 PM7/4/22
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear Ismail Sultan,
Wa 'alaykuma 's-salām,

This was translated b Melody Moezzi, The Rumi Prescription. The original is not easy to determine because she has rhymed this translation, losing half of the meaning. The closest that I could find in Rumi's Dīvān-i Kabīr is from Ghazal 409: "Do not consider yourself’s self so worthless and without antagonist; the world is in quest of gold, and your self is the mine of gold." (translated by Arberry). Here is the Persian text: https://ganjoor.net/moulavi/shams/ghazalsh/sh409, verse #3.

Here is the closest that I could find in Masnavī: http://www.masnavi.net/1/50/eng/3/4359/

Ibrahim