masnavi.net is UP again!

Ibrahim

Feb 11, 2021, 1:25:44 AM2/11/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Dear friends,

I am happy to report that, as of tonight (February 10, 2021) masnavi.net is online and working again (it went down on December 1, 2020).

The owner and creator, Muhammad, just emailed me that it is operational after he worked on it intensively with the consultation of good technical friends.

For those who may not be familiar with the site, it contains the entire English translation (from Persian) of the Masnavi by Nicholson, the entire Turkish translation (from Persian) by Veled Chelebi Izbudak, the entire Persian text, and complete Persian audio by expert reciters––all matched, verse by verse. The site has an excellent word(s) search function in the three languages.

Ibrahim

Kevin Butts

Feb 11, 2021, 8:33:51 PM2/11/21
to Dar-al-Masnavi
Alhamdulillah, I just discovered this myself :) What a pleasant surprise!

May God bless and reward you immensely, and all who have striven to bring to us this unmatched jewel of our tradition, ameen.

Best regards,
Kevin

Kathryn Santana

Feb 11, 2021, 8:34:01 PM2/11/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
ALHAMDULILLAH!

Jake Benson

Feb 24, 2021, 3:20:31 PM2/24/21
to dar-al-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alan!

This is a really terrific resource. Of course, I prefer your translation, but it’s particularly reading the Persian text while listening to the sound files is very nice. Ahmad had developed a project somewhat like this years ago at UW Seattle for several ghazals of Hafez that has since disappeared.

Completely aside, I had ordered Cailah Jackson’s new book on Rum manuscripts after it was announced last year. The library just confirmed the purchase order for the e-book, so I hope we’ll gain access to it soon. You probably already know that she completed a significant codicological study of the earliest masnavi and other Konya mss. Ironically, we met here in Manchester when we attended Adam Gacek’s codicology course in 2015.

Best,

Jake