Hello, DAO sample application

Vojtech Szocs

May 22, 2009, 5:07:03 AM5/22/09
to DAO Fusion
Good news everyone!

We have finished coding our first demo application and are currently
working on final cleanup / commenting. We will try to commit our
sources in the trunk very soon (hopefully today). After that, a step-
by-step tutorial for "Hello, DAO" will be published on our project
site very shortly, along with other content updates (including a basic
release roadmap).

We have learned a lot of new things when building "Hello, DAO",
especially how to integrate SmartGWT with GWT / Maven efficiently for
servlet-based web applications. Our demo application doesn't use
Spring at all (except for custom integration tests), which made us
think more deeply about concepts such as "Open EntityManager In View
Filter", handling singleton DAO references, etc. This way, we have
proven that DAO Fusion is usable outside Spring or EJB container (this
is why daofusion-core doesn't contain direct dependency to Spring, we
let users manage the underlying DataSource/EntityManagerFactory/
transactions/etc. stuff on their own).

Maybe we can add Spring to "Hello, DAO" later, or maybe we can build a
more comprehensive demo application which uses SpringMVC together with
GWT's RemoteServiceServlet. Actually all of this depends on the
feedback we receive from you :-)

Vojtech

vojtec...@gmail.com

May 22, 2009, 10:09:48 AM5/22/09
to DAO Fusion
Just committed "Hello, DAO" into the trunk:
https://daofusion.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/hello-dao

After checking it out, you can do "mvn eclipse:eclipse" to generate
Eclipse IDE files and "mvn jetty:run" to start the application
(database is running in embedded mode).

There should be enough Javadocs / comments hanging around in sources
for people to figure out how things work.

One last thing I miss in "Hello, DAO" is a simple custom integration
test for some business related DAO method - this can be added later.

I can already see that "Hello, DAO" is a working proof of concept how
Maven and SmartGWT/GWT plays together nicely. If we switch from JPA to
JDO, we could even deploy it on Google App Engine.

Vojtech

Michal Hrabovec

May 22, 2009, 12:07:40 PM5/22/09
to dao-f...@googlegroups.com
Vojto, ake je tam heslo ? ("Hello, DAO" to nie je)
Kolko ludi mimo Anasoftu tieto maily dostava ?

M.

>>> <vojtec...@gmail.com> 05/22/09 4:09 PM >>>

vojtec...@gmail.com

May 22, 2009, 5:11:26 PM5/22/09
to DAO Fusion
Hi guys, the SVN repository location I've sent is for DAO Fusion
developers (https). As Michal pointed out, it requires authentication.

Here is the link for anonymous (public) access to "Hello, DAO" sample
application:
http://daofusion.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/hello-dao/

Vojtech