Update: Weekly call and event push for 5th May activities!

Kirstie Wielandt

Apr 11, 2012, 11:50:50 AM4/11/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma Biermann
Dear Everyone - happy Wednesday all round ;o)

Weekly call update
Thomas, Anders and myself held a useful weekly group catch up call this afternoon, please see the group planning document for the latest ideas and actions. Things are progressing nicely and we are hoping to consolidate our campaign targets and letter in the coming weeks, in order to then start some media work around the 5th May event and broader issues.

PUSH: Promoting 5th May event
Now that we have finalised details on the 5th May Day of Action, its time for us all to give the event a big push to our contacts and colleague - please find english and danish event outlines below for you to contact your various people with asap - please spread information about the event as far and wide as possible to your personal and professional networks in order to give it the best possible chance of success! We're looking for viral emails, newsletter listings, social media postings, everything we can get! We'll also be sending round a PDF leaflet/poster and press release in the coming days as well. Get cross posting people, this is what we're good at, lets show them what we're made of....

And have a great day.

Kirstie

DANISH EVENT TEXT:

5 Maj Dansk Tjaeresand Action Dag
Den 5 Maj er International Tar Sands Dag og 350 Climate Action Dag. På denne dag vil der være events over hele verdenen. I København vil vi fokusere på at sprede information omkring Tjæresand men også at sætte fokus på Danske og Skandinaviske virksomheder og institutioner der investerer i Tjæresand, programmet ser indtil videre sådan ud:

12:00 - 13:30: Samling hos NOAH, afholdelse af pre-event med film, talere og information om tjæresand, der vil også være mulighed for at dekorere t-shirts, bannere og påføre ansigtsmaling.
13:30: 14:00: Afgang mod Strøget til hemmelig event.
14:00 -14:10: Udførelse af hemmelig event.
14:10 - 14:30: Foto seance og talere foran den Canadiske Ambassade.
14:45 - ? Drinks paa Cafe Retro: http://www.cafe-retro.dk/

Danmark mod Tjaeresand
Danmark mod Tjaeresand / Danmark Against Tar Sands er en uformel gruppe bestående af enkeltpersoner og miljøorganisationer, etableret til at øge bevidstheden om de enormt miljømæssigt destruktive canadiske Tjæresand, og den rolle, som danske virksomheder der investerer i den spiller. For mere information om Dansk Tjaeresand Action Dag den 5. maj og andre tjæresand aktiviteter kontakt venligst

ENGLISH EVENT TEXT:

5th May Danish Tar Sands Day of Action
5th May is International Tar Sands Day and 350.org's Climate Day of Action, which will see a wide variety of exciting campaign events taking place across the world. In Copenhagen, the group Denmark Against Tar Sands (Danmark mod Tjaeresand) will be focusing on highlighting the hugely environmentally destructive Canadian Tar Sands and the activities of the Danish and Scandinavian companies that are investing in them. The current Danish Tar Sands Day of Action schedule is as follows:

12:00 pm - 1:30 pm: Workshop at the Noah/Friends of the Earth offices in Norrebro, involving film screenings, speakers and the opportunity to decorate t-shirts, banners and apply face paint for the activities later in the afternoon.
1:30 pm: 2:00 pm: Walk/cycle to Stroget for secret activity at pre-determined location
2:00 pm -2:10 pm: Secret activity
2:10 pm - 2:30 pm: Photo opportunity and speakers in front of the Canadian Embassy nearby
2:45 pm - ? Post event meet up, drinks and discussion at Cafe Retro: http://www.cafe-retro.dk/

More information on the event here: http://www.facebook.com/events/333269950062014/?__adt=2

Denmark Against Tar Sands
Danmark mod Tjaeresand / Denmark Against Tar Sands is an informal group of individuals and environmental organisations, established to raise awareness about the hugely environmentally destructive Canadian Tar Sands and the role of Danish companies investing in it. For more information on the Danish Tar Sands Day of Action on the 5th May and other Tar Sands activities please contact dkstoptj...@gmail.com / http://www.facebook.com/DanishStopTarSandsInfoPage.

--
Kirstie Wielandt | Freelance Eco Events & Comms Manager
Ph: 07876573295 | Skype: findkirstie | Twitter: clerkenwellgirl

Join the exciting new campaign to make Ecocide a criminal offence:
www.eradicatingecocide.com

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 11, 2012, 12:24:04 PM4/11/12
to findk...@gmail.com, danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma Biermann
Hi Kirstie

1) Is it possible for you to make a logo for the "Danmark imod tjæresand" group ? Just make it plain simple.
This logo I would like to add to our letter for Statoil etc. (alternatively we could use a logo for the 350 climate dots event or ISTS campaign day, but doing so, would indicate that our focus on tar sand is not a permanent focus).

2) For the press release however, I suggest we use the 350 climate dots logo.

Is this an option ?

Kind regards
Thomas

--
You are subscribed to the "Danish Stop Tar Sands Interest Group" Google Group.
Post to group: danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com

anders lorenzen

Apr 11, 2012, 12:41:31 PM4/11/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, findk...@gmail.com, Emma 350
Event now set up and registered on climate dots:
http://act.climatedots.org/event/impacts_en/2554/signup/?no_redirect=1#

Environmental Writer and Filmmaker
http://agreenerlifeagreenerworld.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/anders-lorenzen
Mobile: +44 77 8900 8393 Twitter

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:24:04 +0200
From: t...@life.ku.dk
To: findk...@gmail.com; danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
CC: em...@350.org
Subject: Svar: Update: Weekly call and event push for 5th May activities!

Kirstie Wielandt

Apr 11, 2012, 1:56:32 PM4/11/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma Biermann
Hello all - Yes I can have a play with a logo for the group and send it round for feedback, no probs. Have a great evening all, cheers K

Derek Leahy

Apr 12, 2012, 1:36:38 AM4/12/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

I am sorry once again it has taken me this long to catch up with you all. I have good news though. I am in Melbourne with a very reliable internet connection so I should be able to participate a bit more in the email threads.......I hope;)

Would you like to use our twitter account for your social media campaign? It is a general ISTSDay twitter account with maybe 40 followers at the moment (it is has been severely neglected). You can tweet in Danish and English if you want. I would be more than happy to give one of you the username and password.

If you are in need of a symbol you can use the ISTSDay one. It is the symbol on the website and the facebook group. I can send it to one of you.

The plan for May 5th looks great! I uploaded a condensed version of the details on our events page of the website. And you are even having an after party! The importance of after parties are severely underrated with this kind of stuff in my opinion. It is great for both organizers and newcomers just to sit down and have a chat.

I noticed you mentioned possibly screening a film but that may have been many emails ago. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with this one. I can get in contact with the people involved in two different tar sands films – "Dirty Oil" and "Blue Water, Black Gold" – who I have had some contact with in the past.

I am really curious to find out what the "secret activity" is going to be. I do not know if it will help but here are some of the ideas people have had in the past for ISTSDay

- dumping molasses on someone’s head outside the embassy – LUSH did this last year in 20 countries across Europe. It is a very effective image. Here is the what we did in Berlin for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AfLpvJOpU

- street theatre – the telling of the tale of Dr. Renewable and the Tar Sands Monster – written by Cheree Mack who is this year’s Australia organizer. A cute little story that was written for a painting day for kids we had before ISTSDay 2011. The story turned out to be a great way to get people’s attention as they passed by. See clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKwRUwAHq4&context=C4316871ADvjVQa1PpcFMg2TdmhlDTyXz5aW3hCzaU34msGgXZbGE=

- can anybody rap? Indigenous children from Fort Chipewyan wrote this song that premiered in a short film fest in Toronto. It was a little controversial at the time because the main sponsor of the festival – Royal Bank of Canada – is the biggest investor in the tar sands. We performed it in Berlin last year which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0YHhnL1QU&context=C4912885ADvjVQa1PpcFMg2TdmhlDTyUjY5w7LCp1VtWVtXnNB3gU=

Ok, I think that is enough links to videos for one email;) If you want me to send more I can. I am pretty sure a basic “International Stop the Tar Sands Day” search on YouTube will yield more for you.

Warm greetings from Melbourne!

Derek

“Only when we understand can we care, only when we care can we help, only when we help can we be saved.” – Jane Goodall

INTERNATIONAL STOP THE TAR SANDS DAY 2012

For information on our 2012 events please see our website and blog. You can also find us on facebooktwitter, and YouTube

Feel free to contact me at:

Skype: derek_leahy
Email: derek.o...@gmail.com

anders lorenzen

Apr 13, 2012, 5:23:39 AM4/13/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,

Good to hear from you.
To put you out of the misery the secret event is a flashmob in front of the Canadian Embassy, thanks for the links they will be good inspiration.

Yes would be great if you could email me your twitter account details and we will use your logo too, in the meantime we will also be looking at creating our own logo we can use for our group.
But very positive about it, it seem that the momentum is starting to grow.

Yes I agree afterparty is a great idea is it should help bringinga lot of people out.

Will be in touch with more info when we have it.

Anders

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:36:38 +1000
From: derek.o...@googlemail.com
To: danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 15, 2012, 5:18:17 PM4/15/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anders, Kirstie and others

Please find attached a draft version of the letter that Rose and I have prepared (this version targeted towards investors, such as Danske Bank)

We are still a bit uncertain as to which references are the best to use for the individual statements. If you have any opinion on that, please give your input !

Kind regards
Thomas

Til investorer i tjæresandsaktiviteter 16. april 2012.DOCX

Kirstie Wielandt

Apr 15, 2012, 6:11:46 PM4/15/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma Biermann
Dear Thomas, Rose and everyone -

Campaign letter - draft
Thanks so much for sending round this fantastic draft letter, its incredibly good, thank you for all your research and hard work! I'll leave Anders to comment more specifically, but its really great to have this tool and call to action from our group, feels like things are really coming together now.

Press release - draft
We've just been working on the draft press release and welcome any comments on it - it needs some final work, a logo, the list of company targets and some more information on the FQD then its ready to go.

Next calls/meetings
Anders and I are both unavailable beyond tomorrow for a week, so can I suggest that:
1. We catch up with Carlos tomorrow by skype chat if you are available Carlos?
2. Carlos and Thomas aim to catch up later in the week by phone/skype/in person to touch base?
3. We all have another full team call Tues 24th or Weds 25th as appropriate?

Coming to town 1 - 6 May
Anders and I are coming to Copenhagen 1st - 6th May - I'll mainly be working from the GP Nordic office on my day job, but Anders will exclusively be working on pushing the event to the media and public that week, I'll leave him to tell you more about that.

Onwards and speak soon,

Kirstie

--
You are subscribed to the "Danish Stop Tar Sands Interest Group" Google Group.
Post to group: danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
More options:
http://groups.google.com/group/danish-stop-tar-sands-interest-group?hl=en?hl=en

anders lorenzen

Apr 15, 2012, 6:38:19 PM4/15/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi Thomas and Rose,

Can I just echo Kirstie's comments and congratulate on a great letter.
I find it very catching and powerful. I guess the next step is doing more research on companies and find out at which extent they're involved.

I think it's ok to qoute ourselves in doucuments if that's what you're referring to Thomas?

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:11:46 +0100
Subject: Re: Draft letter to Statoil and others
From: findk...@gmail.com
To: danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
CC: em...@350.org

Derek Leahy

Apr 15, 2012, 11:57:21 PM4/15/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys!

If you are receiving this message for the second time I apologize I was not sure if Google let my email go through with all the attachments I had.

Although I could not read a single word of it but I do believe deep down inside that the draft letter was great:)

As for the press release, it also looks very good. I have attached a few docs that may help with the final version.

The first is the press release we released at the end of Feb to announce the date for ISTSDay this year. Second, is the old Copenhagen PR from ISTSDay 2010. Third, PR for Europe 2011.

I had two other documents attached, but they were too large to send. Both were from the Indigenous Environmental Network. This is not a criticism, but I noticed the press release does not mention the impacts on Canadian indigenous peoples. This is something I myself forget quite often that there is a very human story in all of this. If you would like to include something about the impacts on Canada's indigenous peoples or First Nations peoples as they are called in Canada I think the two documents should help so I can resend them if you wish.

You may want to be careful calling bitumen tar. I usually refer to it as a "tar-like form of petroleum called bitumen." A pro tar sands supporter insisted to me once that tar only comes from coal, but I never followed it up. Presumably tar can be made from multiple different industry byproducts. I am not sure.

You may also want to drop the reference to bitumen being "very heavy crude oil." I know it makes it easier for the reader to understand but as far as I understand heavy crude is conventional oil and tar sands is unconventional oil. I think it is important to make the distinction because Canada and the industry as pushing so hard to have this stuff - tar sands - considered hardly any different than conventional oil, especially in regards to the EU Fuel Quality Directive. This is obviously not true and is industry spin. In my opinion, this stuff barely is oil.

These are all slightly minor things and of course it is your call on how you word your own press release.  If you need any help filling in the EU FQD section give me a shout. You can find the background for the FQD here:

If the conference call is late enough in the evening I will do my best to get involved and finally meet some of you.

Derek
--
“Only when we understand can we care, only when we care can we help, only when we help can we be saved.” – Jane Goodall

INTERNATIONAL STOP THE TAR SANDS DAY 2012

For information on our 2012 events please see our website and blog. You can also find us on facebooktwitter, and YouTube

Feel free to contact me at:

Skype: derek_leahy
Email: derek.o...@gmail.com

PR_22_02_2012.doc
Stop Tar Sands Day Press Release Copenhagen.doc
Stop the Tar Sands Day Press Release Euro_2011.doc

Martin Norman

Apr 16, 2012, 5:05:50 AM4/16/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Good and valid points from Derek.

I have attached our proposal at this years Statoil AGM, and as you can see the First Nations issue will be discussed there.

I strongly suggest you ad a line or two about First Nations; it gives the campaign an important human angle.

We will have Chief Francois Paulette touring Norway, together with the Norwegian Church, WWF, Concerned Scientists Norway and Greenpeace, from May 2nd - May15th, just in case media wants to talk to one of their representatives.

Martin Norman
Greenpeace
+47 95804950

AGM 2012 Forslag eng copy.pdf

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 16, 2012, 5:53:11 AM4/16/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi Derek

1) Do you have the reference to this citation: "* Average greenhouse gas emissions for oil sands extraction and upgrading are estimated to be 3.2 to 4.5 times as intensive per barrel as for conventional crude oil produced in Canada or the United States".

Hi Anders

2) Yes, we need to identify more companies and their involvement.
Concerning the references, I was thinking of statements like the "3.2 to 4.5 times...".
I would like to have credible references for these statements.

I agree, that in the press-release we should quote ourselves, but not in the letter to Statoil etc.

Kind regards
Thomas

>>> anders lorenzen <andersl...@hotmail.com> 16-04-2012 00:38 >>>

Derek Leahy

Apr 16, 2012, 6:15:45 AM4/16/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

It looks like we got the reference from the Pembina Institute. Looks we actually copied it word for word from here:

Pembina is pretty credible and impartial. They are not exactly fans of the tar sands but they also do consultancy for and I think even receive money from the oil companies involved.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Martin Norman

Apr 16, 2012, 6:19:53 AM4/16/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi there,

Take a look at last page , Table A-8, in the attached report from CERES. It gives a very good overview over emissions from different sources of oil all the way through the chain.

In Norway we use well-to-tank figures if the industry wants to use the CO2-chain argument - consumers can take the train or bike if they want to.

/ Martin

CERA_well_to_wheel_0810.pdf

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 17, 2012, 9:00:59 AM4/17/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi All

I have agreed with Carlos (NOAH, FoE Denmark), that we organize a (physical) planning meeting at wednesday 25th at 17.00 at NOAHs office at Nørrebrogade 39, 1. tv

Carlos need to confirm the availability of the office, but I hope/think that this is no problem.

Agenda points are wellcome !

Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 18, 2012, 2:47:40 PM4/18/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi All

Carlos have confirmed the availability of the office at NOAH !

Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 18, 2012, 3:35:14 PM4/18/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi Rose

I made a slight revision, mentioning specifically the native people, and adding the Pembina reference, and adding 2 pictures on page two (they can be deleted).

Let me know if we should edit further ?

Kind regards
Thomas

>>> Martin Norman <martin...@greenpeace.org> 16-04-2012 12:19 >>>
Til investorer i tjæresandsaktiviteter 18. april 2012.DOCX

Rose Maria Laden Holdt

Apr 18, 2012, 4:22:06 PM4/18/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Meinert Larsen, Emma 350
Hi Thomas,
A few comments, see attached.

I've added som other photos. I would like to have a look at the very final version before sending out.

Well done and lots of good energy for the further event planning etc.

Best,

Rose

Til investorer i tjæresandsaktiviteter 18. april 2012 rl.DOCX

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 18, 2012, 5:56:39 PM4/18/12
to Rose Maria Laden Holdt, danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi Rose

Excellent comments and changes. I have ammended you suggestions. Please have a look!

I think that Indigenous People (as I have quoted from Dereks previous press releases) it translated well with "oprindelige befolkning".

/ Thomas

>>> Rose Maria Laden Holdt <mail.ro...@gmail.com> 18-04-2012 22:22 >>>
Hi Thomas,
Til investorer i tjæresandsaktiviteter 19. april 2012tml.DOCX

Rose Maria Laden Holdt

Apr 22, 2012, 4:51:21 AM4/22/12
to Thomas Meinert Larsen, Emma 350, danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com

Hej Thomas.
Fint, men slet gerne teksten "herunder 2 billeder der vist taler for dig selv" (det gør de nemlig ;))

Hvordan går det med at identificere virksomhederne?

Har vi mulighed for at få organisationer til at stå som medunderskrivere; hvordan er status på det?

Jeg kan desværre ikke deltage på dagen, da jeg er i Svendborg.

God søndag

Rose

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 22, 2012, 4:27:28 PM4/22/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi All

I have tried to identify the largest danish Pension Funds, also investing in oil companies active in the Canadian Tar Sands (see attachment)

I believe that the most relevant european oil companies Shell, BP, Total, ENI and Statoil, of which Shell, BP and Statoil operates in Denmark.

The 5 largest private danish Pension Funds (55% of pension fund market share in Denmark) have total stock shares of minimum 2,5 mia DKK in those 5 companies and Exxon Mobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Suncor

The "public" Pension Fund ATP also have money in some oil companies, but (possibly) more importantly they have money in some US investment papers, but I cannot see exactly what these investments are made in.

Also, I have had problems finding the investments done by the 3 largest danish Banks; Danske Bank, Nordea and Jyske Bank.

Comments ??

Kind regards
Thomas

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 22, 2012, 4:32:08 PM4/22/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi All
Revised letter according to Roses comments
/ Thomas

Til investorer i tjæresandsaktiviteter 23. april 2012tml.DOCX

anders lorenzen

Apr 23, 2012, 6:51:43 PM4/23/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Thqnks for all your research and sorry for the late reply, but have not had access to internet for the last week as Im out of the country. I will be back on Thursday eve and can deal with stuff then. In the meantime may I reccomend that you contact Tarjei Halland at Greenpeace Denmark, he knows a lot about it.

Will try to join the meeting on Wednesday via skype.

Thanks for the hard work,

Anders

Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 22:27:28 +0200
From: t...@life.ku.dk
To: danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
CC: em...@350.org
Subject: List of danish tar sand investors

Carlos García-Robles

Apr 25, 2012, 5:38:51 AM4/25/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

Sorry for the late reply as well

Get in touch with Daniel Pentzlin daniel....@foeeurope.org from FoE Europe, my understanding is that he has been working on pension funds and land grabbing, I am sure he would have some clues on US investments and how they work, and maybe direct you to other sources.

See you later!

Thomas Meinert Larsen

Apr 25, 2012, 1:35:03 PM4/25/12
to Rose Maria, danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com, Emma 350
Hi All (sorry, missed attachment)
--
Tjæresand penge20120423.DOC

Derek Leahy

Apr 25, 2012, 7:15:16 PM4/25/12
to danish-stop-tar-sa...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Sounds like you guys are making some amazing progress and doing a hell of a lot of research:)

One minor point about BP's involvement in the tar sands is that although they have approved a tar sands project it has not actually begun operations yet. This does differ from Shell, Total, Statoil and even ENI who are operating either in Canada or somewhere else in the world.

More info on BP and tar sands can be found here

Tracking down investments is never easy. It could very well be the three Danish banks you mentioned are invested in the tar sands through a subsidiary. For example, an accountant accidentally told me once that was how the Deutsche Bank is invested in the tar sands.

May figure out what the subsidiaries are and go from there?

The pension fund angle is a very good one. It makes things more personal for most people. For some reason more people are upset by their hard earned pensions going into unethical investments as opposed to massive banks doing the same with their savings.

Derek