Tutorial on Git and Homewoprk

devri...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2019, 8:48:38 PM4/13/19
to dan101
From our Rails 101 Meetup today. We had an excellent discussion on Git - see my notes.

Loosely follows rails.44 lesson 13.
Has homework.
best,
Dave

Git_Notes.txt

bikle101

Apr 14, 2019, 3:43:07 AM4/14/19
to dan101
Excellent Notes Dave!

One big idea I failed to mention is this:

A repository [a repo] is a tree of branches.

Each branch contains commits.

The commits are in the branches, not the repo.

Often I ignore the branches and use only the master-branch.

When I do that, I can pretend the commits are in the repo.

Much of git-knowledge is knowing how to copy commits from branch-A to branch-B.

If two branches are in the same repo, I copy commits using 'git merge'.

If two branches are in different repos, and have the same name, 'master' for example, I copy commits using 'git pull' [ or git push ].

-Dan

devri...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2019, 11:06:14 AM4/15/19
to dan101
Thanks Dan, I have updated the notes, attached.
Git_Notes.txt

devri...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2019, 7:41:03 PM4/20/19
to dan101
Updated git notes from todays Meetup.  Attached
Dave
Git_Notes V2.txt

bikle101

Apr 21, 2019, 2:03:15 AM4/21/19