Testing New Google Groups Discussion Board

Damond Nollan

Dec 22, 2010, 10:14:55 PM12/22/10
to damond...@googlegroups.com
According to the documentation, I am empowered to create a discussion using Google Groups. Does it only work as an e-mail or can it work more like a discussion board? That is the question.

Damond Nollan

Dec 22, 2010, 10:20:10 PM12/22/10
to damond...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it looks an awful lot like a discussion board. Pretty neat!

Tim Arthur

Dec 22, 2010, 10:26:28 PM12/22/10
to damond...@googlegroups.com
You getting this back?

--
Tim Arthur

Damond Nollan

Dec 22, 2010, 10:35:52 PM12/22/10
to damond...@googlegroups.com
Tim, yes I am.

Here is what I've learned so far about Google Groups:
  • The web site looks more like a discussion board than an e-mail list.
  • Going to www.damondnollan.com and clicking on the "Community" tab takes visitors to my "Group/Discussion Board."
  • Members maintain control over when they receive e-mails regarding new discussions. If users choose to NOT to receive e-mail, they can subscribe to a particular topic in the discussion board and receive notifications for ONLY that topic.
  • The editor now allows for images and WYSIWYG controls.
  • Users who wish to use e-mail can send messages to the group via email. It sends out to all users AND it posts on the web site.
  • Users can follow the discussion from their mobile phones as well.
How does all that sound?

Personally, I'm excited because I can continue building that community around the content. Consider adding one for your site or your wife's site for on-going engagement.