New Dames on Frames - Spring Energy!

Charlotte Fagan

Apr 14, 2011, 4:32:21 PM4/14/11
to Dames on Frames
Hey Everyone -

My name is Charlotte and I'm organizing the EXCO class on Bike
Feminism. For the final project for the class we're going to put
together a zine - and we'd like to do an issue of Dames on Frames it
thats cool with you guys!

The theme of the zine is going to be "spring energy." It can encompass
just about anything - but trying to connect it to one of those themes
would be great.

We'd love it if people outside the class would like to contribute to
the zine!! We'd like to get proposals/outlines of what people would
like to submit by April 23rd, and the final product by May 7th, so
that we can get the final put-together product by late May.

Please let me know what you think!

Emily Wergin

Apr 14, 2011, 7:43:07 PM4/14/11
to Charlotte Fagan, Dames on Frames
Hey,

I think it would be awesome for the 2nd Bike Feminism Exco to produce an issue!  I like that you are asking for contributions from both people in the class and others involved in DoF and think it could lead to a great issue.

Do other people who've been involved in previous issues agree?

-Emily

ps - I'll try to put something together for it.

madfoxzz

Apr 15, 2011, 7:42:19 AM4/15/11
to Charlotte Fagan, wer...@gmail.com, Dames on Frames
Sounds great to me! I have a couple of pieces that could use a home :)

Beth/Fox

Lee Penn

Apr 15, 2011, 10:17:23 AM4/15/11
to wer...@gmail.com, charlot...@gmail.com, dameso...@googlegroups.com
HECK YES!!!!!

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:43:07 -0400

Subject: [Dames] Re: New Dames on Frames - Spring Energy!

Lowrah

Apr 15, 2011, 3:27:52 PM4/15/11
to Dames on Frames
I'm in the EXCO bike feminism class right now, and I'm totally stoked
to write some spring time pieces, and to read what other people are
contributing. Great idea to ask people outside of the class to
participate!!

Despite the snow in the forecast tonight, I am full of spring
energy!

<3 to you all...
Low

On Apr 15, 9:17 am, Lee Penn <rleep...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> HECK YES!!!!!
>
> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:43:07 -0400
> Subject: [Dames] Re: New Dames on Frames - Spring Energy!
> From: werg...@gmail.com
> To: charlotte.fa...@gmail.com
> CC: dameso...@googlegroups.com
>
> Hey,
> I think it would be awesome for the 2nd Bike Feminism Exco to produce an issue!  I like that you are asking for contributions from both people in the class and others involved in DoF and think it could lead to a great issue.
>
> Do other people who've been involved in previous issues agree?
> -Emily
> ps - I'll try to put something together for it.
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Charlotte Fagan <charlotte.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Everyone -
>
> My name is Charlotte and I'm organizing the EXCO class on Bike
>
> Feminism. For the final project for the class we're going to put
>
> together a zine - and we'd like to do an issue of Dames on Frames it
>
> thats cool with you guys!
>
> The theme of the zine is going to be "spring energy." It can encompass
>
> just about anything - but trying to connect it to one of those themes
>
> would be great.
>
> We'd love it if people outside the class would like to contribute to
>
> the zine!! We'd like to get proposals/outlines of what people would
>
> like to submit by April 23rd, and the final product by May 7th, so
>
> that we can get the final put-together product by late May.
>
> Please let me know what you think!
>
> --
> Pedal Peoplewww.pedalpeople.com
>
> Valley Time Tradehttp://valleytimetrade.wordpress.com/

Claire Stoscheck

Apr 15, 2011, 7:34:13 PM4/15/11
to kling...@gmail.com, Charlotte Fagan, Dames on Frames
Hi!
As you know Charlotte, I'm 100% down.
I like the theme, and cannot wait to see what wonderful things people will write/draw!
bike hugs to all,
Claire

Charlotte Fagan

Apr 20, 2011, 10:16:43 AM4/20/11
to Claire Stoscheck, kling...@gmail.com, Dames on Frames
Hey Everyone -
Thanks for your enthusiasm! Just a reminder that the class is meeting this saturday to put together ideas for the next issue, so please submit ideas/proposals by this saturday.
Thanks!
Charlotte

bree...@hellokitty.com

Apr 21, 2011, 12:57:53 PM4/21/11
to charlot...@gmail.com, Claire Stoscheck, kling...@gmail.com, Dames on Frames
just to clarify, what is the theme? thanks breeana

Lowrah

Apr 22, 2011, 7:28:48 AM4/22/11
to Dames on Frames
SPRING ENERGY!!!

(all caps to convey the energizing theme.)

On Apr 21, 12:57 pm, breea...@hellokitty.com wrote:
>  just to clarify, what is the theme? thanks breeana

Charlotte Fagan

Apr 22, 2011, 10:57:53 AM4/22/11
to bree...@hellokitty.com, Claire Stoscheck, kling...@gmail.com, Dames on Frames
The theme for this issue is "Spring Energy."

Some potential ideas if people are interested:
-Writing a letter to your younger self about what you would tell her about biking/life
-Essays on learning to bike or teaching someone how to bike
-Ideas for bike dates (if lots of people want to submit an idea or 2 we can compile them into a little "how to" bike date article)

Hope that's helpful.

Lee Penn

May 18, 2011, 3:15:16 PM5/18/11
to dameso...@googlegroups.com, grease...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone - taking a break from working on a written exam...  and I'm wondering - what the status is for the new Dames on Frames?

Also - I have a piece idea - it came from reading a Pezcycling piece.

My piece would be about feeling as safe as you can feel or as you want to feel on your bike - from OUR WTF perspective.
Perceived safety or perceived danger?  Another interesting concept that I'll save for another day.
In fact, as I think about this and Saturday's bike clinic and other things discussed within Grease Rag, amongst various bike feministis, and other people I know, I think this could be a subsection in DAMES....

Like - Lucy could write a piece about some self-defense moves on the bike (might you be willing????)....
Lee could write a piece (yes - Lee being ME) on how to feel as safe as you want to feel on your bicycle (bike handling skills, knowing where to ride on roads and trails, bike fit, and condition of your bike (i.e., it doesn't feel safe if it's super rattly as your rocket down hills or roll over potholes)).
Nickel could write a piece specifically on traffic - from the perspective of a certified instructor....
Others?

Maybe we could also have a series of quotes from all of us...

Answer these questions two....  one sentence only for each question!  Ask others?  We could one one page dedicated to responses to each question?

When do you feel safe on your bike?
When do you feel unsafe on your bike?

THOUGHTS?

Lee