Event on internet shutdowns today at 6PM IST

Prasanth Sugathan

Aug 4, 2020, 3:48:32 AM8/4/20
to da...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

SFLC.in is pleased to invite you to a virtual panel on 'Reconciling state's interests with a digital life' on Tuesday, 4th August 2020 at 6PM,IST. This panel is being hosted to commemorate an entire year of communication block in The Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. This panel is being hosted in collaboration with Live Law.

The panel aims to discuss internet shutdowns vis a vis national security, misinformation, censorship, content take down and encryption. The panel will also be discussing the ramification of the communication blockade as well as well as the road that lies ahead for Jammu and Kashmir as well as India.

The panelists for this session are Mr. Manish Tewari (M.P, INC), Prof Manoj Jha (Member of Rajya Sabha, RJD), Ms. Anuradha Bhasin (Editor, Kashmir Times), Dr. Gulshan Rai (former Cyber security co-coordinator, GOI), Mr. Faisal Farooqui (Founder, Mouthshut.com) and Ms. Sairee Chehal (Founder, Sheroes). This panel is being moderated by Ms. Mishi Choudhary(Technology Lawyer, Legal Director SFLC, founder SFLC.in)

SFLC.in has been tracking this block on internet since the beginning. We run an Internet shutdowns Tracker which not only maps the internet disruptions in Kashmir but all over India. Our tracker has recorded shutdowns since 2012. We have also been trying to record the impact of the block by running an Initiative called Voices from Kashmir.  We have also been partaking in strategic litigation's across various courts in India to fight against arbitrary and illegal internet blocks.

The links for the session today -

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VorW8WL1uU

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/livelawindia

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/livelaw.in/

We will be taking questions through Youtube chat as well as DM's to our social media handles Twitter - @SFLC.in @Netshutdowns and Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/sflc_in/. You can also send your questions by sending an email to rad...@sflc.in

Looking forward to have you with us!
Warm regards,

Prasanth Sugathan