Fwd: August 8 - Second Day up Highway One to Santa Cruz

Elin Pendleton

Aug 8, 2013, 9:19:13 PM8/8/13
to dailypa...@googlegroups.com, WAOW Elin Pendleton AAEA
If you want to unsubscribe, just hit reply to send me an email.  Right now the blue-gray area below my address (bottom) doesn't work correctly, so please don't use that. I hate to see you go, but understand if your life changes away from this.
Begin forwarded message:

Follow the Journey

On Facebook (Art)Elin's Facebook ART Page which is all about art, or
"Regular" Elin on FBElin's Facebook Pagewhich includes motorcycles, politics and other edgy topics.
Elin's web page: See all her art!
Elin's Daily Painting Blog: The Blog
Twitter: @ependleton
Blogging the Trip

I'm posting these blog entries after the end of the trip, because I just couldn't get it all to work as I was on the road.

I made notes and took images, and now am sharing them with you on this "official" blog.
Second Day - Highway One to Santa Cruz
Second day: 165 miles along Highway One, with a stop at Hearst Castle for a while. Jo had never seen the magnificent edifice of William Randolf Hearst, and it is a must-see for people with an interest in U.S. history. So, since I've seen it several times, I stayed in the parking lot with Sparky and the motorcycles and did a painting. Nothing odd about that--everywhere I looked there was something to capture in oils!

My brushes did this 5 x 7 oil looking south from the parking lot, to the oak-studded mountains of the coastal range and the golden grasses of the drier California summer. Another warm up painting for the many to come in the days ahead!
We ended up in Santa Cruz, south of San Francisco, at a nice place about two blocks from the ocean. I bought salf water taffy that went with us for the rest of the trip!

The weather was foggy and cool, except for Big Sur, where we ate lunch. The valley/canyon where Big Sur is located gets a lot less fog, but still has the huge redwoods along the road. Riding on an open air motorcycle through this and the rest of Highway One is just a spectacular way to see California!
With a nice Mexican dinner from a recommended restaurant, we again fell into sleep quickly and at an early hour!
Thanks for reading,
Elin
...and please forward this to your friends.
Elin Pendleton, POB 5954, Riverside, CA 92517, www.elinart.com
If you want to unsubscribe from my mailing list, please don't use the link below, butemail me, and I'll be sure to remove you.

--
Elin Pendleton, AAEA, WAOW
The Paintings:  http://www.elinart.com