Daily Awesome 8/19-8/24

Naomi Huth

Aug 19, 2009, 4:15:21 PM8/19/09
to Daily Awesome List

Ignore the heat and eats lots of pizza. That is my plan and it should be yours as well. My computer is having a few issues so I apologize for any problems with the last e-mail.

Please continue to let me know whom to add onto this list. A lot of you are involved in the arts, so if you know of any events that I should be aware of, please tell me about them.

Enjoy. Naomi

Wednesday August 19th

FILM: Pineapple Express @ Pier 54, Manhattan

FILM: Shaft @ Rumsey Playfield, Manhattan

Thursday August 20th

ART: Summer Soirees 2009 @ Chelsea Art Museum, Manhattan

PERFORMANCE/ART/DANCE: New Russian Choreography @ Storefront for Art and Architecture, Manhattan

ART: The 2009 Chelsea International Fine Art Competition Exhibition @ Agora Gallery. Manhattan

FILM/MUSIC: Zero Film Festival's New York Premiere @ Galapagos Art Space, Brooklyn

FILM: Catch Me If You Can@ Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn

Friday August 21st

THEATER: Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Sunnyside Gardens Park, Queens

FILM: Appropriate War: Repositioning Ourselves to the Simulacra @ Elga Wimmer PCC, Manhattan

FILM/MUSIC/DANCE: Passport Fridays 2009 @ Queens Museum of Art, Queens

THEATER: Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind @ Kraine Theater, Manhattan

FILM: Double Dirty Dancing @ Monkey Town, Brooklyn

FILM: Twilight @ Rumsey Playfield, Manhattan

PARTY: Fund the Wedge @ Windmill Factory, Brooklyn

Saturday August 22nd

THEATER: Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Socrates Sculpture Park, Queens

ART/PERFORMANCE: Super Heroes/Villans @ Gershwin Hotel, Manhattan

FILM: Desperately Seeking Susan @ Rumsey Playfield, Manhattan

PARTY: Refuge 2.0 @ Refuge, Queens

THEATER: Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind @ Kraine Theater, Manhattan

Sunday August 23rd

SPORT: Astoria Park’s big ping pong session @ Astoria Park, Queens

THEATER: Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Forest Park, Queens

MUSIC: Jelly presents The Pool Parties 2009 @ East River State Park, Brooklyn

MUSIC: Metropol.Mode + DJ party @ The Bell House, Brooklyn

Monday August 24th

THEATER/MUSIC: Musical Mondays @ Splash Bar, Manhattan

******* Ongoing ******

Every Friday & Saturday, 10:30 pm

Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind @ Kraine Theater, 85 East Fourth Street

$10 plus the roll of a six sided die ($11-$16); Written by the New York Neo-Futurists; Our show is an ever-changing attempt to perform 30 plays in 60 minutes--an original concept by Greg Allen and the Neo-Futurists. The single unifying element of these plays is that they are performed from a perspective of absolute honesty. We always appear as ourselves on stage, speaking directly from our personal experiences. Each short play is written by a performer, honed by the ensemble, and randomly collaged with twenty-nine other plays through high energy audience participation. Each week, these plays shift as ensemble members add new plays to the existing body of work. Each night of performance, we aim to create an unreproducable living newspaper of the comic and tragic, the political and personal, the visceral and experimental.

******* Wednesday August 19th ******

August 19th Dusk (around 8:30pm)

Pineapple Express @ Pier 54, 14th St. and the Hudson River

Free; On top of getting to watch movies overlooking Hudson River on beautiful summer nights, the other thing I like about River Flicks is that every year they pick a central theme for their screenings. This year's they "know what you did last summer" and screen films released in 2008. Tonight is the finale of this summer's series, and what better way to go out than with last year's stoner classic Pineapple Express.

August 19th 8:00 pm, gates open at 6:00 pm

Shaft @ Rumsey Playfield, enter the Park at Fifth Avenue and 69th Street

Free; (1971) John Shaft (Richard Roundtree) is the ultimate in suave detectives. A cool private eye, Shaft is hired by a crime lord to find and retrieve his kidnapped daughter. 100 min. DJ $mall Change spinning form 6:00-8:00pm

******* Thursday August 20th ******
August 20th 6:00-11:00pm

Summer Soirees 2009 @ Chelsea Art Museum, 556 W 22 street

For more information email nicol...@chelseaartmuseum.org, 6-11pm

August 20th 6:00pm
New Russian Choreography @ Storefront for Art and Architecture, 97 Kenmare Street

$5 suggested donation; Ten buckets of dirt, a chair, a sheaf of hay, a scythe and a sickle. Four Russian artists - two choreographers and two theater directors. A unique site with fluid architecture that blurs the boundary between stage and street. For one evening only, these elements will come together. The result is an event that transcends genres and defies expectations. Join us to find out what happens. Email akadysh...@cecartslink.org to reserve a ticket.

August 20th 6:00-8:00pm

The 2009 Chelsea International Fine Art Competition Exhibition @ Agora Gallery, 530 W 25 street

August 20th 7:30pm doors/8:30pm screening/10:30pm–2:00am music
Zero Film Festival's New York Premiere @ Galapagos Art Space, 16 Main Street, Brooklyn
$10 advance, $15 door; The first festival exclusive to self-financed filmmakers has our New York Premiere at Galapagos Art Space, in build-up to our weeklong festival in December. Our first event in New York offers three distinct screening blocks. Open your free PBR and watch the films being created all around you by New York's finest underground filmmakers in our Community Block. Next prepare yourself to be moved by our Made for Zero and Heroes of the Zero Budget block. Now our seriously visually enhanced After Party begins with music video premieres and live performances, including hand held projections. Evening line up: Contributing filmmakers include Guy Ben-Ner, Alia Raza, Victor Varnado, Rodrigo Lopresti, Sunset Television, Peru Ana Ana Peru, Jesse Gelaznik, Elaine Lima, Bianca Ahmadi, Lovisa Inserra, "Mike Smith", Zach Clark, Mary Wall Bronstein, Jacquelyn Gallo, Lena Dunham, Timothy Saccenti, and Team Zero and more.

August 20th dusk

Catch Me If You Can @ Brooklyn Bridge Park, 1 Main Street, Brooklyn
Free; DJs from Brooklyn Radio will provide the pre-film musical entertainment; the Manhattan skyline will provide the breathtaking backdrop. http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org

******* Friday­ August 21st ******

August 21st 6:30-10:00pm

Passport Fridays 2009 @ Queens Museum of Art, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens

5th International Outdoor Film, Dance & Music Series

August 21st 7:00pm

Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Sunnyside Gardens Park, Sunnyside, Queens

Free; If you don’t feel like sweating in line for tickets to Shakespeare in the Park, there’s another chance to get a free dose of the Bard. Woodside-based Hip to Hip Theatre Company presents its last weekend of performances in Queens parks with Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare’s quintessential tragedy – or love story depending upon your perspective. www.hiptohip.org

August 21st 7:00-9:00pm

Appropriate War: Repositioning Ourselves to the Simulacra @ Elga Wimmer PCC, 526 W 26th St. Floor 3

Screening of Vonnegut's Tivo, and discussion curated by Andrea.

August 21st 7:30pm

Double Dirty Dancing @ Monkey Town, 58 N. 3rd St, Brooklyn

Free with $10 minimum; You’ve never seen Dirty Dancing like this before. MonkeyTown repeats its innovative showing of the 1987 classic paired with Holiday, the 2006 shot-for-shot Bollywood remake. Both films will be screening simultaneously with the Bollywood soundtrack playing.

August 21st 8:00 pm, gates open at 6:00 pm

Twilight @ Rumsey Playfield, enter the Park at Fifth Avenue and 69th Street

Free; (2008) When you can live forever what do you live for? A teenage girl risks everything when she falls in love the coolest and hottest looking guy at Forks High School , who just happens to be a vampire. This love story has a cult-like following. Catch the original before the sequel premieres. 122 min. DJ $mall Change spinning form 6:00-8:00pm

August 21st 9:17pm-4am

Double Dirty Dancing @ Monkey Town

Twilight @ Rumsey Playfield,

Fund the Wedge @ Windmill Factory, 155 North 3rd Street, NO. 15, Brooklyn
$10 advance, $15 door includes one free beer; Final fundraiser for the Wedge, three days before we go to Burning Man. Over half the price of the first event and twice the entertainment. Multiple Loft spaces with great beats, burlesque, circus, the cast of Fuerzabruta, acrobats, massage stations, aerial performances, video installations, buy me a Wedgie booth, an art silent auction, the Wedginator, and a raffle for hundreds of dollars in prizes. freewedgie.com

******* Saturday­­ August 22nd ******

August 22nd 5:00pm

Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Socrates Sculpture Park, Long Island City, Queens

Free; If you don’t feel like sweating in line for tickets to Shakespeare in the Park, there’s another chance to get a free dose of the Bard. Woodside-based Hip to Hip Theatre Company presents its last weekend of performances in Queens parks with Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare’s quintessential tragedy – or love story depending upon your perspective. www.hiptohip.org

August 22nd 6:00-11:00pm

Super Heroes/Villans @ Gershwin Hotel.
$17/$20 at the adventure; Characters will come out nude and proud. Sinister, captivating, flexing their super powers holding the Gershwin captive, the trails of what is just. Draw, write or watch, living art as they fight, struggle and attack. A group of time travelers from A.D, the 40s. and the future will rise for power. A story of Love, power and flight. Don’t miss this one, 25 wild action heroes and she-killers. P.S in the back room- a secret performance characters dressing and changing, come draw the process of alteration. live music by Neke Carson home made music by Michael Alan

August 22nd 8:00 pm, gates open at 6:00 pm

Desperately Seeking Susan @ Rumsey Playfield, enter the Park at Fifth Avenue and 69th Street

Free; (1985) A bored suburban housewife, seeking adventure to her life, accidentally gets hit on the head, wakes up with amnesia, and is mistaken for a free-spirited New York City drifter named Susan (starring the coolest chameleon, Madonna). 104 min. DJ $mall Change spinning form 6:00-8:00pm

August 22nd 10:00pm-6:00am

Refuge 2.0 @ Refuge, Ridgewood, Queens
$10 before midnight/ $15 after; The new world is just upon the horizon, explorers. We have finally liberated the first floor of our big old warehouse, making Refuge truly massive in all senses of the word. Come celebrate Refuge's expansion with music in both indoor spaces, a beautiful rooftop, interactive art installations, and the pulsating vibe of this converted warehouse. Light art by Jason Eppink, creator of the Light Ripple, Pixelator and Print After Party. Candy Crack delivery by Club Animal, the big blue mascot who gives you free bouncy rides on the subway. Psychedelic string art upstairs. Human carpet performance by Kevin Carpet.

******* Sunday­­ August 23rd ******
August 23rd 11:00am-4:00pm

Astoria Park’s big ping pong session @ Astoria Park, Astoria, Queens

Presented by Triple R Events and Build it Green! NYC. Hit a few balls yourself or just get comfy on a blanket and watch an open match from the sidelines. www.3r-events.blogspot.com

August 23rd 5:00pm

Hip to Hip Theatre Company @ Forest Park, Queens

Free; If you don’t feel like sweating in line for tickets to Shakespeare in the Park, there’s another chance to get a free dose of the Bard. Woodside-based Hip to Hip Theatre Company presents its last weekend of performances in Queens parks with Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare’s quintessential tragedy – or love story depending upon your perspective. www.hiptohip.org

August 23rd 6:00pm

Jelly presents The Pool Parties 2009 @ East River State Park, 90 Kent Ave, Brooklyn

Free; Girl Talk, Max Tundra, and Wiz Khalifa. www.thepoolparties.com

August 23rd & 24th All Day

Metropol.Mode + DJ party @ The Bell House, 149 7th St, Brooklyn

$10/$15 for both days; Celebrating the abundant, diverse, and cutting-edge creativity that emerges from high population-density urban areas. The performance space at The Bell House will be transformed with an installation of floating walls suspended from the existing exposed 20-foot beams. The 8'x4' walls will feature works by local artists, with alternating performances highlighted on stage and in the crowd by local musicians, djs, performance artists, and clothing designers.

******* Monday­­ August 24th ******

August 24th 7:00pm-Midnight

Musical Mondays @ Splash Bar, 50 W 17th St
Free; Each Monday night, a packed house roars for everything from classic gems (Barbra’s “Don’t Rain On My Parade,” Carol Channing’s “Hello, Dolly!” and Angela Lansbury’s “Everything’s Coming Up Roses”) to new favorites (Sutton Foster in The Drowsy Chaperone, Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens and the Tony Awards Jersey Boys medley) to show-stopping diva brilliance (Patti Lupone’s “A New Argentina,” Idina Menzel’s “Defying Gravity,” and Jennifer Holliday’s “And I’m Telling You”).