Workbench integrated into toolchest?

Jason

Oct 22, 2010, 4:17:32 AM10/22/10
to daikudojo
I moved to Hong Kong recently and want to take up woodworking again. I
have quite a bit of general experience (hobby and a few years as a
cabinetmaker), but am only an advanced novice when it comes to
completing projects using only handtools. But that's the challenge I'd
like to take on. Because of the extreme space constraints here, I only
have a tiny area to work at in my apartment. I plan on doing all rough
dimensioning at my workplace studio (interior design firm) so that
takes care of the lumber sizing issue. I am, however, forced to
combine my work surface and tool storage at home into one compact
unit. I found a lot of inspiration at daikudojo.org with regards to
toolchests.

This brings me to my question. Can you help direct me towards some
good solutions to create a functional work surface that is integrated
to the toolchest lid/tray? Perhaps a book on Japanese workbenches and
techniques? I've found some helpful instructional videos online but
they haven't quite covered this problem. I'm looking for traditional
ways of holding work stationary while cutting, planing, etc.

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide.