What's next?

Richard...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2008, 8:23:38 PM11/25/08
to Daedalus Aerospace
Do you both still think this is impossible? Are you still listening?
Are you interested?
Helloooooo...
I'm building the pump, searching for sources of "cheap" peroxide,
researching how to approach DARPA and searching to see if the pump
idea is original and it seems to be.
I sent in the forms to Paul to enter the team into the contest.
We need to build the team up a bit to start each of the separate
projects.
Any ideas?
Do you want more details from me to believe this is possible?
I wish I had more time to build, but my job is taking up all my time,
though it will get better by the end of the year.

MisterQED

Jesse

Nov 26, 2008, 9:02:49 AM11/26/08
to daedalu...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's impossible.  Still interested and excited about the opportunity.  I think we might want to start building a list of "critical events" during flight that must happen for a successful launch.  Once you have that list - start building scaled down test plans.  Prove the critical events could happen with your test data, etc.  Once you've got that, I would assume you could begin scaling up and working on performance.

How can I help?  I could begin some very low level rocket design, if you haven't already.

Thanks - and have a great Thanksgiving!
Jesse
--
Romans 1:18

Richard...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2008, 11:33:58 AM11/26/08
to Daedalus Aerospace
Hey, I’m not alone!

I’ve actually taken a small step, I emailed Paul Breed of
“Unreasonable Rocket”.
Hello, you don't know me, but I posted a note on your blog in response
to your note on using electric pumps for your bi-propellant rocket.
From that discussion and some work I did trying to develop DARPA’s
“wearable power supply”, I have developed what I think is a unique
design for a tiny turbo pump. I will assume that you are dubious, as
you should be, but as an entrant in the LLC, I figure you'd humor me
with a "mini-challenge".
Like yourself, I’d like to create a pumped H2O2/RP1 rocket, but I’d
like to switch from electric to an air motor driven pump that will
operate at much higher pressures and weighing much less.
What I’d like from you is the basic specs that I’d have to conform to,
for this to be a viable idea. So say you designed a theoretical
rocket that could win the LLC using a 750psi rocket being fed by a
1000psi pump. The pump would either ultimately be powered by
compressed helium or a pressure bleed from the motor, but for this
challenge let’s keep it simple and use helium or some other
independent system. What specs would you require from the pump system
to make it work? i.e. Max weight of the whole pump system, fluid
rates, pressures and duration.
In that way either, I create and deliver a pump system that can
perform as specified or I find the idea won’t work and won’t waste any
more of your time.
The “award” for the “mini-challenge” would be your help in creating a
motor that will go along with the pump that we can both use.
This should limit some of our design time if I can trade the pump
design for a complete motor design. The pump should be challenging
but well within my abilities. I just have to get the right
combination of materials, tolerances and layout. This way I can do it
all without having to lay out a lot of money for dangerous chemicals,
etc. Also if it preliminarily goes well, I can submit the findings to
DARPA for funding/legal support.
I have done some low level rocket design, I just need specifics on
performance and weights, but I'd like to see yours. We need to find
or build a simulator that can take the numbers we are getting and give
us at least a ballpark on the results.
We still need is material sourcing. H2O2, plastic for the balloon and
hydrogen. I don’t need you to buy anything, just find out the costs.
Besides the motor, I’d really like to build a large but scaled down
zero pressure balloon and test fly it. I think it would prove we are
serious and we could test one of my other ideas about recovery
systems, GPS above limit but below speed and the use of GSM for low
altitude communications which I think we'll need if we go reusable.
It will also introduce us to the FAA, etc.

Have a good Thanksgiving,
MisterQED