Setting relative bounds

David Bass

Oct 25, 2023, 2:26:59 PM10/25/23
to dadi-user
Is there a way to set relative parameter bounds during inference, e.g. such that the time of one population split is always greater than that of another? There does not appear to be a way to do this in the core scipy optimization functions. I am aware that I can simply discard inference runs that return estimates with unsatisfactory relative values of estimates, but I'm hoping that there is a way to do so while speeding up computation by telling the optimization algorithm to ignore the region of parameter space in which a certain parameter is less than another parameter.

Thanks,
David

Ryan Gutenkunst

Oct 26, 2023, 10:45:59 AM10/26/23
to dadi-user
Hello David,

Using the dadi.Inference.opt method, which is a wrapper around NLopt, you can specify inequality constraints among your parameters (ineq_constraints) to define functional relationships between the parameters you would like to preserve during optimization.

Best,
Ryan