Help: NYT Fashion Week Visualization Remake?

jacqueline palacios

Jun 29, 2021, 12:43:05 PM6/29/21
to d3-js
Hello,

I work on a website for an environmental conservation non-profit. I would like to implement a similar visualization to the one you made for NYT fashion week to display the many images we collect for the beautiful biodiversity in Maryland.

I have searched your archives, observable, and Github for a code template or any tips on how to create this visualization, but I have found none.

Could you possibly provide me with assistance, code template, advice, or resources as to how I could recreate this visualization?

Thank you,

Jacqueline Palacios

Mason Forando

Jun 29, 2021, 5:40:08 PM6/29/21
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacqueline

I think you could use the d3-fisheye plugin to implement this.  See the two links below.

This article may be helpful as well:

I also have this bl.ock from my scrap project:

The fisheye function is not mine and unfortunately I did not attribute the source in my code.  I tried looking but couldn't find the original.  Hopefully it helps get you started, though, if you don't use the plugin.

Thanks.
Mason

Adam

Jun 29, 2021, 8:04:02 PM6/29/21
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Most of the code is inline - if you look at the source of the page and search for "d3.select(".graphic")", you can see the implementation

view-source:https://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/09/13/fashion-week-editors-picks/index.html