Spectrogram chart using d3.js

d3noob

Mar 27, 2014, 2:45:15 PM3/27/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone ever come across a spectrogram type chart built using d3.js?
They are frequently used for audio analysis but can be used for looking at a range of discrete quantities that vary over time.

I'm picturing the y axis being time (and in the ideal world updating dynamically) with the x axis representing the 'things' that are being measured. For instance, temperatures in a range of cities. The traditional google search hasn't thrown up any promising leads, so I thought I would ask the community before trying to reinvent the wheel :-).

Cheers

Matthew Pocock

Mar 27, 2014, 2:47:29 PM3/27/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
HI - would a heatmap do for you?

Dr Matthew Pocock
Turing ate my hamster LTD

Integrative Bioinformatics Group, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University

skype: matthew.pocock
tel: (0191) 2566550

Kai Chang

Mar 27, 2014, 2:53:38 PM3/27/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Why yes! Jim Vallandingham built a JS spectrogram several weeks ago.

d3noob

Mar 27, 2014, 3:14:34 PM3/27/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matthew, That's a really good thought about using a heatmap! There's no reason why I can't just alter the appropriate settings to get the effect I'm looking for in a static display. Changing dynamically would be an additional challenge, but a heatmap would be a great start. Nice suggestion!

d3noob

Mar 27, 2014, 3:20:38 PM3/27/14
to d3...@googlegroups.com, kai.s...@gmail.com
Thanks Kai (and Jim!) It looks like Google failed me! That is a nice piece of code. it is ideal for dealing with an audio input, but I'm thinking of a possible range of inputs that may be discrete 'features' in their own respect. (The example of a range of temperatures in different cities for example). I will have a look and see if Jim's work can be adapted for what I'm thinking of. Many thanks!