Cafe' Churches in Korea

Roy Tinklenberg

May 11, 2017, 3:43:52 AM5/11/17
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com

Bill Breck

May 11, 2017, 12:29:53 PM5/11/17
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Of course I am ready.  The Chinese church I was at almost opened a coffee cafe / bookstore / tutoring and ESL center at the Ranch99 shopping center next to the new Apple Spaceship headquarters in Cupertino. Some internal political spats derailed that great opportunity.

Nearby us, we see the success of Red Rock Coffee in downtown Mtn View, which is owned by The Highway Community Church. It's the best coffee shop, meeting space, and small event venue in Mtn View. Great model.

My mission-minded friend opened a cafe in Xinjiang, western China. People from all over the world "found something different" when they stopped there for coffee/tea, Swiss pastries, and impactful discussion.

Wikipedia even has an entry on Church Cafes:

"These churches are often focused on relationship aspects of Christian fellowship and outreach to their local community, and use the modern gathering place of a café in their ministry."

That's a well-balanced vision right there - all in a humble cafe !

Mike Parkyn

May 11, 2017, 12:55:14 PM5/11/17
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com

Fascinating discussion!

Of course, this is not at all new. It was very trendy for churches to run a coffee bar ministry when I first came to Christ in the mid 80's. We used to run outreaches into downtown Johannesburg from a well located Christian coffee shop there, which was one of several in that space.

I think this is still a good plan, and can become more specifically Christ-centered if church owned and run. But most believers who are serious about discipleship already frequent all kinds of coffee shops for coffee meetups. Starbucks, Peet's, Philz, all kinds of boutique versions.

What I see as distinct in the post from S Korea is that for many it seems to be a replacement for other kinds of church, not an add-on. In that I see a great "type" of all kinds of new gathering-types. Others might include gyms, restaurants, golf clubs, athletics clubs, nightclubs, malls, workplaces, schools, colleges, etc, etc, etc....? "church-where-people-are", combining the gospel and body life with the common focus that already creates the assembling together?

Sooner or later those that opt for this kind of "church" will likely discover shortcomings though, so my vote is for a blended, partnered, collaborative, multi-faceted enterprise bigger than all of us. Manifestations of His one glorious church! The urgent need perhaps is to create forums for all believers to discern how Jesus is leading them, and stirring them, towards creative expression through common-unity?

exciting times, praise Jesus!

Of course I am ready.  The Chinese church I was at almost opened a coffee cafe / bookstore / tutoring and ESL center at the Ranch99 shopping center next to the new Apple Spaceship headquarters in Cupertino. Some internal political spats derailed that great opportunity.

Nearby us, we see the success of Red Rock Coffee in downtown Mtn View, which is owned by The Highway Community Church. It's the best coffee shop, meeting space, and small event venue in Mtn View. Great model.
Caffeine. Culture. Community. In 2005 The Highway Community purchased the Red Rock Coffee Co. in downtown Mountain View. So, why would a church want to run a cafe?

My mission-minded friend opened a cafe in Xinjiang, western China. People from all over the world "found something different" when they stopped there for coffee/tea, Swiss pastries, and impactful discussion.

Wikipedia even has an entry on Church Cafes:
A cafe church is a Christian church centered in cafés. These edifices are associated with alternative worship and the emerging church movements, and seek to find new ...

"These churches are often focused on relationship aspects of Christian fellowship and outreach to their local community, and use the modern gathering place of a café in their ministry."

That's a well-balanced vision right there - all in a humble cafe !

Bill Breck

May 11, 2017, 1:10:01 PM5/11/17
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com
I think this discussion is just starting ;)

It definitely plays to the D-Distributed aspect of D-church.

I was also reminded of a unique experience our family had one New Years Eve. Our nephew took us to Knotts Berry Farm in LA to "Pray in the New Year". No, a church did not own and operate a large amusement park - the venue just for that night had a major Christian spin.

Why it worked was the huge contrast between a normal visit to the amusement park, versus what we experienced that night. Definitely different! Much more worship and praise from the bandstands, more smiles, joy, and conversation with strangers while waiting in lines. And that difference really made you think about life in God's Kingdom being so richer than the everyday alternative.

It was new wine (coffee/hot chocolate) in an old wineskin, but so many elements and attitudes were different that it totally worked.

Didn't hurt that people got to mix it up with people from hundreds of different churches, all united by His spirit. No one church 'owned' that space, we all shared His glory together.