The Religion of Workism Is Making Americans Miserable - The Atlantic

Bill Breck

Apr 30, 2020, 3:36:04 PM4/30/20
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com
This is an example of a deeper work-faith exploration that can help transform minds:

The economists of the early 20th century did not foresee that work might evolve from a means of material production to a means of identity production.

They failed to anticipate that, for the poor and middle class, work would remain a necessity; but for the college-educated elite, it would morph into a kind of religion, promising identity, transcendence, and community.

Call it workism.

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar

Apr 30, 2020, 4:15:31 PM4/30/20
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com
That’s one aspect of the current “Great Reset” I am most enjoying: learning how to fit work in around healthy lifestyle and relationships, rather than vice versa as I’ve been trained to do my entire life...

Sent from my iPhone

Roy Tinklenberg

Apr 30, 2020, 4:16:49 PM4/30/20
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com
Great article, Bill! Thanks for sharing it.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail, and permanently delete all copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

Bill Breck

Apr 30, 2020, 4:51:22 PM4/30/20
to d-ch...@googlegroups.com

You can again use Jesus as a model for that. I’m reminded that there absolutely nothing recorded in scripture about his carpentry/technion job.

And people back then, when they first met each other, didn’t see to ask, “which company do you work for?”. It was much more asking about your family and other relationships!

Granted, almost all “worked at home” back then. But the emphasis sure seems different.