Seeking information to customize the visualization app for each CZO

Emilio Mayorga

Nov 20, 2014, 12:51:59 PM11/20/14
to CZOData IMC
Dear CZOData IMC,

We've made substantial progress on the CZO Data Visualization Portal since I presented on it at the CZOData meeting at Stroud last May, that most of you attended. Now we need your input and information on each CZO to start customizing each CZO app (data from each CZO can be explored in one app specific to the CZO).

I will be presenting an overview of the visualization portal at the CZOData IMC webinar today, and will go over this request.

If you went to the annual CZO meeting last September, you saw Anthony's brief presentation on this. Regardless, you can access the application here:
http://viz.criticalzone.org

Most of the apps are empty. Currently we have examples/pilots of site content and customization for these two sites:
http://viz.criticalzone.org/Eel
http://viz.criticalzone.org/Christina

We'd like to have the following information for each CZO:

*** Data Visualization Portal front page.

Each CZO app is accessible from here via an icon. Hover over that app icon to see a pop-up box with additional, brief information on the CZO. We'd like to have:
- A photo for the icon, that you think is appropriate or representative for your CZO. We picked the current photos via executive decisions without consulting you, just to get things moving. Ideally your photo should be crisp and have good contrasts at the image size shown. If you think the current photo is fine, that's ok too.

- 1-2 sentences describing your CZO, for the hover-over box. See the Eel River for an example.

*** CZO apps.

- A shape file (or other geospatial file, like KML) with the boundary delineating your CZO. If not available at this time, please send us a latitude-longitude bounding box for the CZO. But we would still encourage you to develop a boundary shape file, even if no such clear definition exists for the CZO. It's still a helpful visual reference.

- A small, preliminary list of "regions" of interest within the CZO. Shooting for about 10 regions is a good initial target. These regions are helpful for map navigation (see the "Regions" panel), and for site selection via the Filter panel (faceted search). Ideally these should be areas that are already defined by the CZO, even if only roughly. They can range from large regions (like a watershed) to major field research areas ("field areas"). You probably already defined some field areas when you worked with David Lubinski in populating your CZO content for the CMS, but we now need to have at least a corresponding lat-lon bounding box for each area. We will need a very short name and a lat-lon bounding box for each region; WGS84 datum is preferred, especially for small field areas (WGS84 is used by GPS, Google maps, et al; NAD83 differs by no more than a few m; NAD 27 could differ by up to ~100 m). GIS shape files for region boundaries would be ideal, specially for larger regions, as they convey more specific information; but we can also tackle that in a second phase. Regions with only bounding boxes are fairly easy to implement on the visualization apps, and we can modify them later, so please don't worry too much about getting them just right on this first round.

*** Next steps.

We plan to start adding content (sites) to each app over the next 3 weeks, starting with sites where time series observations are available; these are typically the sites submitted to CZOData Central as display files, which are available as CUAHSI "WaterOneFlow" data services. If your CZO has submitted samples for IGSN registration, we'll soon be able to incorporate those as well.

I'm looking forward to getting your input *and* questions!

Cheers,
-Emilio
CZOData Team

-Emilio Mayorga, Ph.D.
Applied Physics Laboratory
University of Washington
Box 355640
Seattle, WA 98105-6698  USA
may...@apl.washington.edu

Emilio Mayorga

Dec 5, 2014, 5:00:32 PM12/5/14
to CZOData IMC
I wanted to thank all of you who have responded to our request for CZO information for customizing the CZO data visualization portal. What you've sent me is terrific. We'll be rolling out your input and shape files over the next week or so.

Please feel free to send your information if you haven't done so or if there was additional information you were going to send. Remember to cc David Lubinski in your emails, so we can more easily incorporate your information into your section on the main CZO web site (the CMS).

Thanks!
-Emilio

Muste, Marian V

Dec 24, 2014, 3:07:05 PM12/24/14
to czoda...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Aufdenkampe (aufdenkampe@stroudcenter.org), Praveen Kumar, Papanicolaou, Thanos, Christopher Wilson (cgw24@utk.edu), Xu, Haowen

Dear Emilio,

Sorry for the delay in sending in the data and infro requested from IML-CZO a while ago.  Please find below and attached all the info pertinent to the Clear Creek watershed – one of the two observatories of the IML-CZO.

Happy Holidays!

marian

Short para on Clear Creek watershed:

The Clear Creek watershed (CCW) in Iowa drains approximately 270-km2 of east-central Iowa to the Iowa River. CCW is representative of most U.S. Midwestern watersheds by combining extensive agricultural activities, increased urbanization, highly erodible soils, and a wet climate on the steep slopes. As a result of changing land use coupled with the predominant climate, soil types, and topography, average annual erosion rates are high.  Stream destabilization as a result of widespread channelization and drainage system construction has further increased sediment loadings to the stream.

CCW_Activity_Sites_Shps(Chris_Wilson).zip
Clear_Creek_Basic_shapfile.rar