CZO websites are down

David J Lubinski

Oct 29, 2014, 3:28:54 AM10/29/14
to czoda...@googlegroups.com, Susan Brantley, Jim Pizzuto, Bill McDowell, Whendee Silver, chorover Chorover, jon pelletier, roger Bales, Martha Conklin, Suzanne Anderson, Gregory E Tucker, bill dietrich, Kathleen Lohse, Mark, Praveen Kumar, Thanos Papanicolaou', drichter Richter, Amilcare Porporato, Steve Frolking, Enriqueta C. Barrera
The CZO websites at criticalzone.org are down because they appear to have been compromised.

Initial investigative work by our website host at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) suggests that the attack vector was unrelated to CZO and our software. Instead, the attacker may have leveraged a flaw in a website completely independent of us, but on the same computer system.  Our website and others appear to have been "innocent bystanders".

SDSC staff are working to bring the CZO website back online as soon as possible (hopefully tomorrow).  They will also be diagnosing the extent and cause of the damage in more detail as well as preventing a similar attack in the future.  We will send more information as it becomes available.

If you see the CZO websites come back online, please refrain from making any updates until you hear from us.

Hopefully this unexpected downtime won't cause too much inconvenience for you or your audiences.

-- David

---
David Lubinski
Web Designer & Research Scientist