Preparing for CZOData:CZO 1:1 Consults

Anthony Aufdenkampe

Sep 29, 2015, 1:35:49 PM9/29/15
to Susan Brantley, Jim Pizzuto, Bill McDowell, wsi...@berkeley.edu, Jon Chorover, jon pelletier, Roger Bales, Martha Conklin, suzanne.anderson, gregory...@colorado.edu, bill dietrich, Kathleen Lohse, Mark Seyfried, Praveen Kumar, Thanos Papanicolaou', Amilcare Porporato, Tracy Bernier, Louis A. Derry, TIMOTHY S WHITE, czoda...@googlegroups.com, David Lubinski, David Tarboton, David Valentine, Emilio Mayorga, Ilya Zaslavsky, Jeff Horsburgh, Kerstin A Lehnert, Leslie Hsu, Tom Whitenack, Sara Damiano, Megan Carter
CZO PIs and CZO Information Management Committee members,

The CZOData team has worked long and hard to schedule and prepare for the CZOData 1:1 Consult Webex meetings with individual CZOs. The first of these are occurring later this week and they will continue until the end of October. Each will focus on the needs of a single CZO, but anyone is welcome to listen in Live or watch a recording. For the full schedule and links to WebEx connection information, see:

To prepare for these consults, we ask that each CZO team read over our new CZO Data Sharing Guidelines and Instructions web pages, which we have just substantially updated (there are nine new web-pages). Start here: http://criticalzone.org/national/data/submit-czo-data/.

Each CZO should also prepare a 20-30 minute presentation describing their data management approaches.

Last, we will be emailing each of the CZOs a Questionnaire in Google Doc format. We ask that each CZO team look over the questionnaire in advance of the scheduled WebEx and respond to questions as much as possible before the WebEx. These questionnaires will also serve the role of agenda and shared notes for our meetings. These live Google Doc will substantially assist and enhance our communications before, during and after these meetings.

We look forward to meeting with you all.
Anthony

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hi CZO PIs and IMC members

We have scheduled one 1:1 consult and I just sent out hourly Doodle polls for 5 more:
We still need available dates from the following CZOs. Please fill out this Doodle Poll (http://doodle.com/qwdnsmnqu9de62by) to select dates, so that we can send out an hourly Doodle poll.
  • Boulder
  • Eel
  • Sierra
We're working hard on preparing for these consults.

Anthony

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hi CZO PIs and CZO IMC members,

Thank you to those who have filled out the Doodle Poll that I sent out earlier in the week.

As the rest of you fill out the poll, please fill it out for your entire CZO team, which should include CZO PI, IMC Faculty Rep(s), Data & Web Managers, and hopefully a few post-docs and graduate students (4-10 people total from that CZO).

We look forward to getting these on our calendars.

Anthony

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Dear CZO PIs,

It has been three months since I proposed a series of 1:1 WebEx meetings between the CZOData project team and each CZO.  Our team is ready to start those consults.

I fully realize that the delay in getting started is unacceptable. I personally bear full responsibility for those delays, as the person charged with bridging CZO Scientists with CZO Data Infrastructure. Over the last three months, the CZOData team has continued to crank away on solutions to serve your needs. Meanwhile I was incapacitated by a series of personal disasters that started last fall and accelerated through the winter and spring. In late May, I had thought my personal life had turned a corner, but my battles continued until the end of July. I now believe that I am back on my feet and ready to reconnect the CZOs with the excellent work by my colleagues on the CZOData team.

Please fill out the following Doodle Poll: CZOData:CZO 1:1 Consults Scheduling. http://doodle.com/qwdnsmnqu9de62by

The CZOData team is generally available (at least 8 out of 11 of us) on all selected dates.

CZO PIs: Please mark a day as available if your team has at least 2 consecutive hours available on that day. We will then do a 2nd round of scheduling to pick an exact dates & times for each CZO

I sincerely look forward to moving forward on helping you share your data.

Anthony

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hi CZO PIs & IMC Members,

In the last two weeks the CZOData team has received your feedback on how to best engage the CZOs, both to train and support CZO investigators and data managers with sharing data using our new products and also to encourage active and continuous feedback regarding the refinement of these data products to best meet all of your needs.

Based on this feedback, CZOData team would like to suggest a different approach for the next few months. Rather than convene the IMC for another 2-day meeting later this May, we propose a series of 1-on-1 WebEx conversations with each CZO.

Each of these ten two-hour WebEx meetings would focus on a single CZO, and they would be would be carefully scheduled with that CZO in order to maximize the number of people from that CZO who could attend. We would expect that the CZO PI, IMC Faculty Rep(s), Data & Web Managers, and hopefully a few post-docs and graduate students would attend (4-10 people total from that CZO), and we would have 3-5 members of the CZOData team on the other end.

Each "initial consultation" WebEx would follow this pattern:
  • The CZOData team emails in advance a questionnaire & notes file (a Google Doc) with:
    • with links to CZOData resources
    • with standard questions that we’ll want to answer during the call (or in advance)
    • with specific questions for that CZO
  • The CZO fills out as much of the form in advance as possible, which the CZOData team reviews before the call.
  • The CZO presents a 20-30 min overview of their data management approaches.
  • The remaining call focuses on answering questions & addressing needs that the CZO has regarding how to benefit from CZOData products and how to best share data.
Everyone on the CZO IMC list will be invited to listen in to every other WebEx, to promote sharing of our various approaches.

The 10 initial 2-hour consults would then morph into perhaps 5-15 additional targeted WebEx meetings that would focus on topics that were raised during the initial 2-hour consults. We would group these needs and invite anyone from the network to participate.

All WebEx meetings would be recorded.

I'm very much looking forward to feedback from the CZO PIs on this approach in the coming days as we are all gathered for the CZO PI meeting hosted by the IML-CZO.

Cheers,
Anthony

Anthony K. Aufdenkampe, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - Isotope & Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Tel. 610-268-2153 ext. 263; Fax 610-268-0490