CZOData IMC: Meeting Info & WebEx

Anthony Aufdenkampe

May 27, 2014, 6:25:43 PM5/27/14
to czoda...@googlegroups.com, Susan Brantley, Jim Pizzuto, McDowell, Bill, wsi...@berkeley.edu, chorover, jon pelletier, Roger Bales, Martha Conklin, suzanne.anderson, gregory...@colorado.edu, bill dietrich, Kathleen Lohse, Seyfried, Mark, Praveen Kumar, Thanos Papanicolaou', drichter, Amilcare Porporato, Steve Frolking, Enriqueta C. Barrera
Hi All,
    We're looking forward to the meeting this week!  Here's a bit of last-minute info & reminders, including WebEx info for those who will be attending remotely.

    Agenda details are now fleshed out in the 2014-5-29_IMC-WorkshopAgenda Google Doc.

   Two people have mentioned on the IMC Meeting Carpooling List that they are renting cars and are open to taking others.  Add your mobile phone numbers (I just added that field), or find each other's emails on our CZOData Information Management Committee (IMC) participant list and coordinate among yourselves.

    For those arriving Wednesday night in time for dinner, I've made reservations at the Half Moon Restaurant for 6:30 pm. If you are interested in joining us, let's gather in lobby of Hilton Garden Inn at 6:15 pm or meet us at the restaurant. If you arrive late, here is a  map of nearby restaurants:  https://goo.gl/maps/bDaQk.

See you soon,
Anthony

CZOData IMC Meeting

Every day, from Thu, May 29, 2014 to Fri, May 30, 2014, 8:30 am | 9 hr

New York (Eastern Daylight Time, GMT-04:00)

Host: Anthony Aufdenkampe

Access Information

Where: WebEx Online
Meeting number:  192 119 110
Password: czodata

Audio Connection

+1-415-655-0001 US TOLL

Access code: 192 119 110

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hello CZOData IMC,
    We're looking forward to seeing you all next week!  We'll have 26 people people attending in person and an additional 6 registered to attend virtually.  You can see the full list of participants in the 2014 CZOData IMC Workshop Registration Form (Responses) Google Doc.
    We have made hotel reservations for all of you who need them at the Hilton Garden Inn, Kennett Square.

    Regarding local ground transportation, I know that some of you were planning on renting cars and others on taking the Delaware Express shuttle.  To help you self-coordinate car-pooling to/from both the airport and hotel, please fill out the IMC Meeting Carpooling List.  I'll leave it to you to email each other to make advance carpooling arrangements from the airport to the hotel, but then after that my expectation is that car-pools will organically self-organize.  If you are stuck with taking the Delaware Express shuttle (http://www.delexpress.com/), please make reservations 24 hours in advance.  Regardless, I will meet you all in the hotel lobby at 8:00 am on Thursday May 29 to welcome you and lead a convoy of cars on the 10 min drive to the Stroud Water Research Center.

    Regarding the 2014-5-29_IMC-WorkshopAgenda, on Thursday morning right after introductions we'll begin with a 10-12 minute informal presentation from each CZO, including the new CZOs.  The point is to get to know each other.  Introduce who is involved in data management at your CZO and briefly describe the kind of data you'll be collecting, what local data management approaches you are using or considering and what kind of help/advice you might be looking for.

    The Agenda for the rest of the meeting will pick up where we left off with our 2014 CZOData Cyber-Seminars.  Our expectation is that each of you either participated in each cyber-seminar or watched the recordings.  If you missed one or more cyber-seminars, please watch them before arriving next week.
    At present the agenda is not very detailed, but I'm starting to actively flesh out details and time slots right now so that virtual participants will know exactly when to dial in for specific presentations and discussions.

See you next week!
Anthony

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hello CZOData IMC,
    Our face-to-face meeting is soon approaching, and I need a list of participants.  Please fill out our 2014 CZOData IMC Workshop Registration Form to record your intent to participate by Monday, May 12. Registration is required for in-person participation and for us to make hotel and meal reservations (expenses will be covered for 2 participants from each CZO).  Virtual participants are also encouraged to register.

We have reserved a block of hotel rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn, Kennett Square. To put your name on a room, please fill out 2014 CZOData IMC Workshop Registration Form by Monday, May 12. Our workshop funds were originally budgeted for 6 CZOs, so we're trying to make the money stretch as much as possible. Please consider sharing a room with another participant.  Also, please contact us if you would like to send more than 2 participants from your CZO.

Participants should make their own travel arrangements, and will be reimbursed following the meeting.  The Stroud Water Research Center is a 50-60 min drive southwest from the Philadelphia Airport (PHL), 70-80 min from the Baltimore airport (BWI) and 30 min from the Wilmington DE Amtrak train station.  The Delaware Express shuttle serves the PHL airport.

Our draft 2014-5-29_IMC-WorkshopAgenda devotes the first morning to short presentations (10-12 min) from each CZO on their local data management approaches.  The talk should describe HOW you do local data management, including software systems, social dynamics of data wrangling, QA/QC, production of CZO Display files, etc.  It could either give an overview or focus on an innovative aspect or substantial challenge of your CZO's data system.

We're looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Anthony

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hi All,
    Here's a quick email to confirm that the IMC meeting will indeed be Thurs. May 29 (all day) to Fri. May 30 (half day).
    The CZOData project/developer team will also meet all day on Wed. May 28 and will join IMC members for an optional/informal dinner on Wed May 28.
    The presentations on May 29 by each CZO should focus on HOW they do local data management, including software systems, social dynamics of data wrangling, QA/QC, production of CZO Display files, etc.  It should be short (10-12 min, plus 3 min for Q&A) and can be co-presented by all those involved.

Cheers,
Anthony

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Anthony Aufdenkampe <aufde...@stroudcenter.org> wrote:
Hi All,
    Now that the Cyber-Seminar series is well underway, it's time to settle on dates for our workshop.  Our original Doodle Poll showed the best dates for most IMC members to be the last dates on the poll, May 13-15, but those are not the best dates for the project team.  What works best for us is May 28-30, and we're hoping that works well for most of you too.  Memorial Day is Monday May 26, and we are not aware of any other conferences or workshops that week (the Joint Aquatic Sciences Meeting is the previous week).  Classes are out, but most don't start fieldwork or summer travel until June.

Please let us know ASAP if there is a conflict with these dates.
We will enable virtual participation for the meeting, but we are hoping (and have funds for) one data manager and one investigator from each CZO to attend in person.  Also, if there is interest, we might be able to get additional funds from other sources, so please let us know if you would like more than 2 people from your CZO to attend.  The focus of this meeting will be more on data management, data sharing and data integration, and less on website related efforts.

    The workshop will be at the Stroud Water Research Center, about a 50-60 min drive southwest from the Philadelphia Airport (PHL), 70-80 min from the Baltimore airport (BWI) and 30 min from the Wilmington DE Amtrak train station.

    A possible agenda might look something like this:

Wed, May 28.
  • Travel
  • Informal group dinner
Thur, May 29
  • AM:
    • Introductions.
    • Presentations by each CZO regarding their local data systems (15 min each).
  • PM: Discussions & Decisions:
    • CZO Display File v2;
    • Shared/Controlled Vocabularies;
    • sub-committee assignments
  • Group Dinner @ Greathouse
Fri, May 30
  • AM: Discussion & Decisions:
    • Data Use/Sharing via Creative Commons?;
    • CZO-IGSN Registration Agent
  • Working lunch?  Demos; Brainstorming; Additional sub-committee assignments; others?
  • Adjourn: 2:30 pm (can get to any major West Coast city by midnight).
What do you all think?
Is 1.5 days enough, or should we start earlier on Wednesday, even if that means some people might need to travel on Tuesday?

I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Cheers,
Anthony

Anthony K. Aufdenkampe, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - Isotope & Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Tel. 610-268-2153 ext. 263; Fax 610-268-0490

Anthony K. Aufdenkampe, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - Isotope & Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Tel. 610-268-2153 ext. 263; Fax 610-268-0490

Anthony K. Aufdenkampe, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - Isotope & Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Tel. 610-268-2153 ext. 263; Fax 610-268-0490

Anthony Aufdenkampe

May 29, 2014, 5:38:33 AM5/29/14
to czoda...@googlegroups.com, Susan Brantley, Jim Pizzuto, McDowell, Bill, wsi...@berkeley.edu, chorover, jon pelletier, Roger Bales, Martha Conklin, suzanne.anderson, gregory...@colorado.edu, bill dietrich, Kathleen Lohse, Seyfried, Mark, Praveen Kumar, Thanos Papanicolaou', drichter, Amilcare Porporato, Steve Frolking, Enriqueta C. Barrera
For those of you presenting today, please drop your slides into the Presentations folder within our 2014-5-29_CZOData-IMC-Workshop2 Google Drive folder.

See you all soon!
Anthony