CZ-Earthcube Workshop Next Steps

Anthony Aufdenkampe

Feb 1, 2013, 12:43:17 AM2/1/13
to Critical Zone EarthCube Domain Group, Emilio Mayorga, Gary Berg-Cross, Clifford Riebe, Matej Durcik, Lucas Nave, Ilya Zaslavsky, David Tarboton, Vanessa Michelou, Thomas Meixner, Diana Karwan, Roy Haggerty, Lauren Crawford, Lixin Lu, Emma Aronson, Jennifer Arrigo, Roelof Versteeg, Greg Tucker, Ziran Zhang, Peter N. Eze, Dave Arscott, Barbara Ransom, Joe Bernert, Dr. Melinda Daniels, Praveen Kumar, Christopher Wilson, Luigi Marini, Jordan S Read, Wendy Graham, Meredith Warren, Jeff Horsburgh, Christopher Duffy, Andrew Neal, Adrian Harpold, Susan Brantley, Jonathan Nyquist, Julia Perdrial, Rolf Aalto, John Callahan, James Syvitski, Beth Wenell, Tim White, Martha Conklin, Shucheng Xie, Leslie Hsu, Kathleen McKee, Jessica Driscoll, Scott Peckham, David Valentine, Dan Ames, Tom McKenna, Kerstin Lehnert, Hongmei Wang, Tina Callahan, Jinjun Kan, Brian Wee, Lamyaa Negm, Scott B. Jones, Pauline van Gaans, Raleigh Martin, Thomas Whitenack, Anita de Waard, Elisabeth Bui, Eve-Lyn Hinckley, Kevin Brinson, Matt Shatley, David Wunsch, Paul Koch, Xiande Meng, Xu Liang, Henry Lin, Sean Smith, Linden Wolf, Jake Peters, Jennifer Z Williams, Ruth Duerr, Steve Hicks, Heather Brooks, Stan Wullschleger, Aaron Packman, Robert Cheetham, Naomi Hicks, Inna Kouper, Scott Brooks, Nancy Wiegand, Miguel Leon, James Brunt, Chen Zhu, Jim Pizzuto, Mike Kuperberg, Sally McFarlane, Cynthia Dinwiddie, Shirley Papuga, David Lesmes, Jingyi Yu, Marc kramer, Pamela Sullivan, Torsten Hahmann, Melida Chicora Ehlen
Hi All,
    Thank you all for your participation in an excellent workshop last week!  We owe special thanks to all the Speakers, Facilitators, Notetakers and WebExistas for making the workshop productive and in particular to Steve Hicks for making sure that all the conferencing technology ran smoothly.
    I know that many of you, like me, have had your heads buried in proposal preparation for the CZO program deadline on Feb. 5. Shortly after, we should move forward on some of the next steps that we outlined in our closing session.
    This will be the last email I send out to all registrants.  If you want to continue participating in our discussions, please make sure that you join our Critical Zone EarthCube Domain Google Group, click on the "My Membership" button and set your membership settings to receive emails (otherwise you may likely miss out on discussions).  All future emails should only be addressed to czo-earthcube...@googlegroups.com

Notes and Next Steps from our closing session are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1acFL87MTy_4xODh54N9--n5OvmeYW4wbd91mwyfaWAk/edit

The two main pressing action items were:
  • Draft Executive Summary and compile other workshop output for NSF, due as a draft by Feb. 8!  The workshop organizing committee will take this on, but if you want to help out, let us know.
  • Explore the feasibility of preparing a proposal to NSF for a Scientific Software Integration (SSI) project with a deadline of March 19, 2013!  Emma Aronson sent out a nice summary of that in an email, below, to the Google Group earlier this week.  Thanks Emma!  A number of people who are interested in that discussion will be talking tomorrow via Skype.  Contact Emma for details.
Again, many thanks!
Anthony

Anthony K. Aufdenkampe, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist - Isotope & Organic Geochemistry
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road, Avondale, PA 19311
Tel. 610-268-2153 ext. 263; Fax 610-268-0490

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Emma <emma.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello CZ-Earthcube
Thank you Anthony et al. for such a wonderful workshop last week! At the final meeting of the workshop there was some discussion of continuing to develop the ideas converged upon in the final synthesis and applying for one of NSF's Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SI2) grants. Several people still present expressed interest in working on this project and Kerstin Lehnert, of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, agreed to spearhead the effort. Not all of the names and contact information were collected at this time. Additionally, we are aware that some people had to leave early and the webex listeners were already logged off. Therefore, you can consider this an open call for participation in this grant proposal.
Also at that final meeting, Anthony, our bold leader, relayed the message from the Enriqueta Barrera (NSF Program Officer for CZOs and others) that developing this kind of integrated software is just the kind of project that the Scientific Software Integration (SSI) grant, the middle-funding-level of the SI2 program, is intended for. The idea would be to draft a proposal, built on what we developed in the 3/4 groups at the workshop and the final synthesis, to submit as a group of both scientists (end-users) and developers. Further, Anthony has made the original proposal to NSF for this meeting to take place available on the google group page, so we may choose to borrow from that grant application for this one.
The next step we agreed upon last week was that we should have a teleconference this week. Since many from our group are attending another workshop until this Thursday, I propose this Friday, February 1 for our discussion. I have set up a doodle to schedule this conference (note the times are in PST on the form how I set it up). If you would like to be a part of this, but cannot talk on Friday at all, please let me know and I will instead schedule this for next week.

Cheers,
Emma

PS - Anthony, could you please send this out to all of the emails on your list? I am just sending it to the Google group because we still don't have the emails available, but I know many people may not have signed up to get emails from the google group.

--
Emma L. Aronson, PhD
University of California, Irvine

Incoming Assistant Professor