Backup Ghost4Linux €? Linux Image

Chieko Boteler

Dec 3, 2023, 7:47:23 AM12/3/23
I am looking for backup solution for my LAN users, software should take first all documents (doc, xls, pdf, etc) of all users PCs/LAPTOPs in storage (we have storage here), and second time this software will update only change image. anybody know better software please let me.

Try G4L to backup a USB drive, or any partition or hard drive. You can use it to restore the created images to another type of drive if you wish. It is a bootable tool so install it on a USB drive and you can keep the images you backup on the same drive.

Backup Ghost4Linux linux image
DOWNLOAD https://urllio.com/2wHN77

Restore an Image using G4L
To image a workstation boot to the G4L CD and go though the menus except select the Restore menu option instead of backup and it will transfer the image to the new workstation.

There is one limitation though, when restoring the backup: The partition needs to be the same size (or bigger) as the partition you took the image from, so this limits your options in case of a restore. However, you can always expand the partition after you've restored the backup using gparted or parted. The picture gets even muddier when you are trying to restore entire disk copies. However, if you are restoring the backup to the same exact hard drive, you don't need to worry about this at all.

Optionally, in order to minimize the space taken by the saved image, a partition can be first shrunk (from end, that is from right) so that it would not include the empty space. Here is a post on that: create partition backup image no larger than its files.

However you might be interested in using Clonezilla if you have an external USB hard disk drive or a NAS. You just have to download an ISO image by clicking here (you can access the global download page here), burn it with "Brasero". Boot from Clonezilla Live CD and perform a backup (disk or partition to image) of your main hard disk drive (with your healthy Ubuntu). Please note that you can't backup the partition you have mounted as backup destination (quite logical). If your system is broken, you just have to boot again with Clonezilla Live CD and perform a restore of your system. Don't forget that Clonezilla makes snapshots, so if you have your data ("/home", "/etc", ...) on the same disk/partition as Ubuntu system, you'll get back the one from the backup and loose what has been done since that backup was performed...

CloneZilla...

this is THE BEST backup tool for Linux and Windows. boot with live DVD and backup to any drive. CloneZilla is linux based so no problem with reading HD partition..

Microsoft Windows 10 Backup Settings comes free with all Microsoft Windows operating systems. This feature enables you to create a duplicate copy of your drive with additional hidden drives. A Windows Complete PC Backup image contains copies of your programs, system settings, and files. It is a complete system backup that you can use to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or entire computer ever stops working.

Redo Rescue, formerly Redo Backup and Recovery, is a free backup and disaster recovery software. It runs from a bootable Linux CD image, features a GUI that is a front end to the Partclone command line utility, and is capable of bare-metal backup and recovery of disk partitions. It can use external hard drives and network shares.

I am in need of a bare metal backup solution that doesn't require booting into a live disto, or taking the server offline. I am currently using G4L to collect images, but taking this new server offline to reboot into a recovery disk cannot happen. Does anyone have any suggestions?? (gotta be open-source, the boss is CHEAP)

My next choice was Paragon, one of the Windows solutions mentioned above. I had just found out that there was a free version of Paragon Backup & Recovery, whose User Manual (p. 9) promised full read/write access to ext4 partitions. I downloaded and installed it on my Windows machine. While I was at it, I also installed Macrium Reflect Free 6.1 and AOMEI Backupper. I used these installations to create image backup ISOs, and added those ISOs to my YUMI multiboot USB drive.

Unfortunately, there did not seem to be a 32-bit version of the Paragon tool, and the 64-bit download could not run on this old 32-bit laptop. The same was true of the 64-bit version of AOMEI Backupper Standard 3.2. But then I noticed that Softpedia also offered a Linux version of AOMEI. That ran. It offered options to clone an entire disk, an operating system, or a partition. It did not want to clone two out of three partitions on a drive in a single pass. Moreover, when I selected one partition, it did not offer compression options; rather, it indicated that it was going to wipe out the target partition. In other words, it was indeed cloning the partition, not making a backup image of it. The situation it found on the source drive was exactly the situation that it was going to create on the target drive.

G4L is much easier to use than the method outlined in this chapter. For most users, no Linux knowledge is needed. Since FTP is a much more efficient way to transfer data than NFS or CIFS, it is typically 20 to 30 percent faster. Because G4L uses FTP, Windows-only environments can easily set up an IIS FTP server to store the backup images. G4L can automatically compress the backup in stream, using light to heavy compression to improve backup speed. It also provides easy disk-to-disk duplication support. It supports SAN devices and can be used to do disk-to-disk backups. G4L also includes the dd_rhelp and dd_rescue utilities to recover a disk with bad sectors. G4L runs as a Microsoft Virtual PC Machine, so you can test it out in a safe environment.

This displays the main menu. Here, you can choose Raw Mode or File Mode. The Raw Mode option is the one to use for most backups. File Mode requires you to set up a special server running partimaged. Don't worry, though; you can still do filesystem backups using ntfsclone in Raw Mode.

It is also possible to customize G4L for your environment. The easiest way to do this is to use a Linux development environment. You can set the menus to have different defaults by mounting the ISO image as a loopback device and editing the config files before you burn the CD. You can set the defaults in the G4L file itself by changing the variables netzip, server, useridpass, netimagename, device, and ftppath. The variables reflect in order the compression used, the FTP server IP address, the username and password for the FTP server, the default backup filename, the Ethernet device, and the FTP upload directory. You can also perform other customizations to the menus to remove choices that are not relevant to your environment.

What I'm looking for is a livecd(I would imagine a livecd is easier since then you're not trying to backup the partition you're running from) of some sort that I can boot into and then make a backup cd/dvd snapshot of my current system. I'd also like it if the image it creates is then installable. I found Acronis TrueImage and it seems to be what I'm looking for but it appears to require a Windows Installation to run it from which I don't have, and really I'd rather find a FOSS solution anyway. The wiki points to a tool called Mondo Rescue which also appears like it could do the trick, but I had a hard time finding a rescue cd that included it and also found a few bad reviews through Google.

I would suggest using any live linux, with added backup software of your choice. For instance arch-live (based on arch -live.blogspot.com/) or slax (based on slackware and live scripts ). Both of these have a relatively easy way to add packages of your choice (from respective distros).

G4L - may do what you want. It's a bootable CD that creates an image of your harddrive(s) or partitions. The images may be compressed, and can be saved to either a 2nd local drive or over the network to a ftp server. You can also simply clone drives/partitions, rather than creating images.
I use it at work to deploy machines from clean images, and at home to backup my existing machines to a big USB drive.

Running CentOS 7 I have a previously combined backup of a disk with three partitions using dd. I now need to restore one single file from this backup and after perusing the internet, specifically -it-possible-to-mount-a-gzip-compressed-dd-image-on-the-fly, I have done the following:

Partimage saves the MBR of your disks together with your partition. You can avoid this by using the -M option when saving a partition, but I guess it does not hurt having backups of the MBR. The MBR is not automatically restored when you restore a partition.

I have used Partimage numerous times to save and restore ext3 partitions and it has worked just fine. I also have some xfs partitions, but I never had the need to save or restore them, so I cannot tell. Partimage supports xfs. For information about NTFS or other filesystem support see the Partimage homepage and also have a look at linux-ntfs.org.

Just a small note of caution with partimage. I used to use partimage quite a lot to backup my NTFS partition. It worked well. However, one day I wanted to restore a partition which I had reduced in size. The size was still quite a bit larger than the amount of data which partimage had saved, but it was smaller than the partition had originally been. Partimage refused to restore the data. Oops!

I always try to assume that I've missed something obvious, but I can't find the secret to actually using this feature. We have a simple linux appliance that we install in all of our offices and I would prefer to be able to image it with KACE instead of booting to G4L and using an image file on a local USB drive.
eebf2c3492