raw data cytoscape

Maurizio Severino

Mar 29, 2024, 11:43:52 AMMar 29
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Dear Everybody
I have some questions about Cytoscape

- What is exactly the meaning of "edges" and "nodes"?
- Why when I type "Parkinson" I get such a little network? In my world I would expect a far wider network. The output that I get seems to be limited. Could this be related to some restrictive criteria? If yes which one?

Thank you in advance for all your support.

Cheers
Maurizio

Scooter Morris

Apr 3, 2024, 11:18:10 PMApr 3
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Hi Maurizio,

Happy to answer some questions, but you may need to be a bit more specific.  Cytoscape doesn't restrict the nodes and edges to any specific semantics, so your nodes could be proteins and your edges could be protein-protein interactions, or your nodes could be genes and edges could represent genetic interactions.  Some people use Cytoscape for non-biological use cases, so the nodes and edges would be very specific to their use case.  So to provide a better answer, how are you generating your network?   As far as your second question, where are you typing "Parkinson" that is giving you a network.  There are several apps you can load that will provide very different results with a query like that.  Do you have a specific app loaded?

-- scooter