importing expression data not working

Petar Donchev

Jun 5, 2024, 3:46:49 PMJun 5
to cytoscape-helpdesk
I am trying to import my expression data as CSV file but for some reason Cytoscape is not willing to attach it to my selected networks (homo sapiens + filtered homo sapiens networks). I have to see the columns of my expression data in order to use the color filter. Unfortunately after the import no new columns appear in my table bellow the visualized network.
I checked my data for hidden characters - there are none
My column labels are clear and similar to the guide video : cytoscape expression data - Search⁤ (bing.com)

Do you have any suggestions as to why my import is not happening correctly?

Scooter Morris

Jun 5, 2024, 11:53:59 PMJun 5
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Greetings,

Typically, this happens when you aren't doing the mapping correctly.  By default, Cytoscape will try to map to the "name" column in your network, but if your select key column isn't the same as your name column, you won't get anything mapped.  For example, if your network is using uniprot IDs as the name, but also has an HGNC column and your expression data is HGNC, you need to make sure to set the matching columns on both the network and your expression data.

-- scooter

Petar Donchev

Jun 6, 2024, 6:55:42 AMJun 6
to cytoscape-helpdesk
Thank you for your reply.

I have the following algorithm>

First > import of biogrid-organism-network (Homo sapience) BIOGRID-ORGANISM-Homo_sapiens-4.4.234.psi25xml >
Second> filter> Node: Species Short Label / contains/ Human > File>New networks>From selected Nodes, All edges
Third step>import expression data from CSV file. accession of gene names are abbreviations (same as the video example):  cytoscape expression data - Search (bing.com)

What I noticed at the end that column names from my expression data have been imported into the parent BIOGRID-ORGANISM-Homos_sapiens-4.4.234.psi25xml Node table, but are missing from the derived Node table that contains
only Human genes (result of filtering in the second step). During the import I am using option "All selected networks" (in my case both of them) but apparently the software is not willing to import my expression data columns in the most
important node table (the one obtained after filtration - new network).

Have you any ide what might be the issue?

Kind regards,

Petar

Scooter Morris

Jun 26, 2024, 7:55:18 PM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to cytoscape-helpdesk
OK, thanks for the detailed report.  I would suggest selecting the human only network rather than "All selected networks".  See if that works.

-- scooter