tbh...@uic.edu

Jul 18, 2016, 12:12:14 AM7/18/16
to cytoscape-discuss
I have big amount of graph data (over 1000 nodes, over 2000 edges). and I want an interactive graph exploration. I want to start with graph with one single root node and user will be able to click on it and  explore all it's children nodes and this process continues to form a braking sets nodes after clicking on them to form branches. For this I want the data to be already loaded to the cy instance but how do I take the data that is only required based on the user's request? I want to add the nodes and it's data dynamically. Please help me out.

Barry Demchak

Jul 18, 2016, 12:15:06 AM7/18/16
to cytoscap...@googlegroups.com

forwarded to cytoscape-helpdesk @ googlegroups.com

Barry Demchak -- from my mobile phone

On Jul 17, 2016 9:12 PM, <tbh...@uic.edu> wrote:
I have big amount of graph data (over 1000 nodes, over 2000 edges). and I want an interactive graph exploration. I want to start with graph with one single root node and user will be able to click on it and  explore all it's children nodes and this process continues to form a braking sets nodes after clicking on them to form branches. For this I want the data to be already loaded to the cy instance but how do I take the data that is only required based on the user's request? I want to add the nodes and it's data dynamically. Please help me out.

Matthias König

Jul 18, 2016, 10:03:33 AM7/18/16
to cytoscape-discuss
This sounds a lot like Cytoscape groups to me.

see
http://chianti.ucsd.edu/cytoscape-3.4.0/API/org/cytoscape/group/package-summary.html

You have to define groups of groups of groups ...
The main group is the one single root node. When you click on it you get all the groups connected, ... and so on.

One issue I see is that this probably only works if your network is a tree, i.e. no cycles. You than go downward from the root node in the branch groups until you reach the leave nodes. With cycles you can not calculate a unique conversion to groups of groups.
You also need a network format which allows you to define the layers of groups. You have  to write a tree to hierarchical groups converter.