App failing to load when the .jar is downloaded from Github release

Hikmet Emre Kaya

Aug 25, 2023, 1:12:37 PM8/25/23
to cytoscape-app-dev
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if anyone has encountered this before. I am developing an app for Cytoscape, and the .jar file works perfectly when I install it locally.

However, if I download the same .jar file from my lab's GitHub page, where I uploaded it as a release, Cytoscape fails to load it.

It gets better: when I restart Cytoscape, the app in fact does get loaded and works just fine again.

Is there a step I am missing when releasing the file when on Github?

Thanks a lot!

Emre

Alex Pico

Aug 25, 2023, 7:57:56 PM8/25/23
to cytoscape-app-dev, Yihang Xin
Hi Emre,

Please share the GitHub url to the jar so we can reproduce and (hopefully) diagnose the issue.

- Alex

Hikmet Emre Kaya

Aug 26, 2023, 5:35:10 AM8/26/23
to cytoscape-app-dev
Hello Alex,

Thank you for the response. Here is the link: https://github.com/scientificomputing/CytoCopasi

One first needs to copy the native libraries to java.library.path for it to work properly - i.e., import files, run simulations etc., (I have been trying to automate this, but it is nearly impossible with the latest Java versions). But that's beside the point. If you just install the .jar file without the preliminary steps, the app should still load and appear in the left Cytoscape panel.

Let me know what you come up with. Could you also let me know what OS you test this in?

Best,

Emre

Scooter Morris

Aug 31, 2023, 12:11:22 AM8/31/23
to cytoscape-app-dev
Greetings,

I just tried this on my Linux machine (Fedora 36, Java 17) and it loaded just fine.  I didn't do any of the preliminary steps, but the side panel definitely showed up.

-- scooter

Hikmet Emre Kaya

Aug 31, 2023, 6:24:47 AM8/31/23
to cytoscape-app-dev
Hello Scooter,

I am glad to hear that! I actually found the issue, which was in my CyActivator, and fixed it. So it did load in my case as well. So it was not even related to GitHub after all.

Regards,

Emre